What Is Touch Potential

Hello all, I am Naman and I am a electrical engineer from New Delhi, India. While reading books I came across the term "Touch Potential". What is it exactly? Could someone explain it?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good question. The terms touch potential and step potential are used mostly in the high-voltage power transmission systems. In typical high power transmission lines, the tower that holds the high-tension line may act as an 'antenna' and a receiver of high voltages or power (thunder, for example). If the tower isn't properly grounded, then the ground potential may rise to the levels that are dangerous. This is where the step and touch potential come into picture.

The Touch Potential is simply the potential between the point of contact (aka touch) between the energized object ( the tower, for example) and the point of contact between the object and ground ( say, the feet of the person touching the tower ). So if you imagine a person touching the tower with faulty ground; then the potential between the point where the person touches the tower and his feet would be called as the 'Touch Potential'. It could be dangerous enough to circulate major amount of currents; that may result into the death of the person.

The step potential, on the other hand would be the potential gradient between the person's feet standing nearer to the object of high energy.

Here's further reading on the topic of step and touch potential: #-Link-Snipped-#

An interesting discussion could be prevention of accidents that result from these types of potentials.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a graduating electrical engineer. and I was asked this question in Viva - What Do you Mean By Earth Potential? I am pretty clueless about it. Please can...
helo guys, myself studying in third year in computer science in mumbai !! came accross this site and couldnt restrict myself from joining one!!😀 Real helpful site specially for the...
A tutorial on this (literally) old Timer seems too elementary. However, I still use some of the oldest circuits with discrete transistors in very sophisticated applications to suit other compulsions...
Altitute Control System- wated noted on this..i tried on net but gettting attitude control system and not altitude....can anyone get me Altitute Control System ?? thanks alot
The iMacs ship with what Apple calls a Magic Mouse. Now the only issue with the Magic Mouse is that it's got no magical battery life. I've been performing various...