what is the use of session?

please anyone can explain why some sites display the message 'session expired' .
Is this is used to conserve bandwidth or it has some other uses?

Replies

• sookie
    sookie
    Hi elavarasan, A very good question.

First question what is a session ?
    A: A session is basically a temporary connection established between any two devices.

Second question comes why it is established?
    A: Sessions are established whenever we visit a Web site that is maintained mostly by a database, requires login information or is a secure Web page.

Next question comes to someone's mind , now if they are established for comuunication then why do such sites throw error messages 'Session is expired"
    A: Whenever we login such database based sites, system sets a cookie in our machine. When this variable gets expired, it value is null(can say set as null), system throws the message 'Session is expired".

Now next question comes what exactly is this "cookie"
    A: A cookie is a session variable that resides in our browser and allows us to stay logged in. It in fact contains information that is required to login into the site.This cookie gets expired after sometime or when we log out. If we log out, no problems but when it expires if I left the site for sometime(say 30 minutes) as it is then it throws such message "Session is expired". This time-limit is set by Websites server. If Web-site server don't set any such time limits then it increases the chances of cookies hacking by hackers. If by any chance a hacker get a cookie then he can easily log in into the system and can access information easily from the web server which a registered user would never like to happen. So it s done for the security of the data saved at the server side. Also it is done to help with the speed of the website.

Hope, this can be of some use to you. Others, correct me if any wrong information is shared.

Thanks !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good post, sookie 😀
  • elavarasan
    elavarasan
    thank u sookie for ur reply

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

tell me the some minor project ideas on mechanical engg.
😁 Hello everyone..... i am a 'to be' engineer aspiring to do something worthwhile and being remembered as a good human and a great professional...... NAME: OASKANTA MISHRA (a female...mind...
Hello friends. I am currently doing b.tech in computers(7 sem).I have to undergo 6 months industrial training during my 8 sem. can someone tell me the good companies which provide...
why we should to add ground to this circuit to work good
Hi all CEans here you post your words and wish Happy Independence to India.😛