What is the right time to switch to other company?

Hello Crazyengineers,

There are few questions which has always trailed experience person in the IT industry
1. In what way switch will affect my profile..
2. If a person is not satisfied with current project or work/ technology , is switch is the answer?
3. Switch ? To enrich the profile with experience on other kind of project or to be expert in current project.
4. 2-3 yrs or 4-5 yrs ? or wait for right opportunity?

One of my friend joined another company after serving 2 yrs in one of the MNC. Work in new company was not that much appealing to him. So again switch is right with such short time span ?
Suggestions and advice are most welcomed...

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Time span does not matter, if you feel you will be satisfied and will be able to learn better. Then you may switch.
    A word of Advice: Grass always looks greener on the other side, so first make a firm mind and research well before you switch.
    Good Luck!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Somesh Diwanji
    1. In what way switch will affect my profile
    Within 5 years 2-3 company change are OK.
    Depends on recruiter and your performance in hiring process. If you damn good in interview process probably no will ask you why change more than usual companies in past. But sometimes recruiters are too interested in this and can ask for explanation.

When to change:-
    1. When you start feeling you are doing boring work, ask in your company if they can give you some good work if not you can start looking.
    2. When your salary is less the amount of work you do. (Classic reason ๐Ÿ˜)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Somesh Diwanji
    1. In what way switch will affect my profile..
    Totally depends on what kind of switch you make. Typically, you should make a switch only when the new opportunity outweighs the drawbacks of leaving your current job.

Somesh Diwanji
    2. If a person is not satisfied with current project or work/ technology , is switch is the answer?
    Find out the root cause of the problem. If it's the project; look for different project. If it's technology, look to upgrade your skills-set. You should be absolutely clear that the switch will help fix the problem you're currently experiencing.

Somesh Diwanji
    3. Switch ? To enrich the profile with experience on other kind of project or to be expert in current project.
    You'll typically work in one or two main technologies in any project and that will continue to be the basis of your next opportunity. If you are a Java developer; you may learn tools and technologies associated with Java and used in your current project. These will form the basis of your new job so that your new employer can benefit from those. Of course, the new project will help you learn more tools and technologies.

Somesh Diwanji
    4. 2-3 yrs or 4-5 yrs ? or wait for right opportunity?
    It's not mandatory to switch! My cousin joined Kanbay, which got acquired by Cap Gemini and he stayed with the company without a single switch throughout his career. His company acknowledged it and he's reached at the top level jobs in the company. I'm not sure if that'd have been possible had he switched companies.

Note that every case is different. You need to chalk out the larger goal first. You need to be absolutely sure about your expectations and goals and then work on them. Typically you should switch only when the need arises.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need to submit a project based on electronic and communication equipment hence I need help of u my friends. Please say me how do this projects and your ideas....
very good morning.!! I am Manisha Arora. I am pursuing B. Tech. now a days, I m studying and searching for any interesting minor and major projects for my 4th...
I have completed my b e in electronics and telecommunication
My self jigar shah. Studying automobile engineering at K.J.Faculty of Engineering and technology .
This is akshit. I completed B.tech in ECE stream.