what is the implecation when a main distrubution panel reads negative KVAR

hi all CEans,

is someone can explain why negative KVAR occur in a Main distribution line where all of its load in an inductive (Aircon, Chillers, Water pump and UPS with static switch).

thanks,

Replies

• freak16
    freak16
    Can you elaborate your question please?
  • Arp
    Arp
    i dont know inside details of that but from my basic knowledge what i suppose polarities with which it is connected to mains is not correct
    suppose with same voltage polarity if i reverse the polarity of current coil(anything measuring current) or vice versa then there may be a chance of getting -ve kvar.
    so i advice u to flip your current measuring device terminals once and plz let me know whether the problem resolve or not.
  • JCgal
    JCgal
    To elaborate, before we conduct the annual preventive maintenance of electrical system the reading is positive but now it is negative. i am wondering how this happened the load are all RL. The problem here is this MDP support all the critical equipment when this happened million of dollars will be lost in an instance.

thanks for the reply.
  • JCgal
    JCgal
    Arp
    i dont know inside details of that but from my basic knowledge what i suppose polarities with which it is connected to mains is not correct
    suppose with same voltage polarity if i reverse the polarity of current coil(anything measuring current) or vice versa then there may be a chance of getting -ve kvar.
    so i advice u to flip your current measuring device terminals once and plz let me know whether the problem resolve or not.
    Hi arp, thank you for your info. actually we have the same idea but i was hesitating because no one was altering the connection even before we conducted the PM of electrical system. Also i was suspecting that the UPS (2 unit of 80KVA) was affecting this measurement because the UPS room humidity wasn't stable (45%-55% normal but now it was 60% - 65%). The aircon that we using in both UPS and DAta center room was Precise Aircon unit meaning this unit will automatically adjust the temp and humid in normal level.
  • ankurjariwala
    ankurjariwala
    ARP is right.....kindly reverse the polarity of the main CT (by shorting the CT shorting links to ground).....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, how are you? ----------- < advertisement removed by admin>
Many people in India daily face problems in commuting through auto-rickshaws due to false fare claims by the rickshaw drivers. It would be great if you develop an application that...
Hi i intend to work on a project where i find the energy consumed by each device of a house/office and give it to a Computer so that user may...
At CE, we follow use of proper English language (instead of SMS language or slangs). But many-a-times, I stumble across basic English grammar mistakes used by CEans. I am trying...

Jto

which book is best for JTO exam ?