What is the function of trap flag in 8086 microprocessor?

what is the function of trap flag in 8086 microprocessor?

Replies

• swati verma
    swati verma
    Trap flag when set then single step interrupt will occur after the next instruction.
  • Trieu Vi Nguyen
    Trieu Vi Nguyen
    how to enable Trap flag? which instruction can do that?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    #-Link-Snipped-# There is no specific instruction to set Trap flag. However, u can set it by changing the Trap Flag Bit of the flags register.
    Also, The Trap Flag is mainly used for debugging purposes.
    Hope it helps!!!
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Trap Flag

amazingly explained.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    More amazingly, this thread has thousands of views. It only goes to say engineers are searching for the basics and CE is providing them the answers. 👍

So, here's my two cents:
    Trap Flag is used for on-chip debugging. Debuggers can use it for step-by-step execution of a computer program. If 8086 does a type-1 interrupt, Trap Flag is reset. Therefore, the single-step mode will be disabled during the interrupt-service procedure.
  • Shanu Verma
    Shanu Verma

will any geek tell me what the hell on earth single step execution means ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everybody. I am a Electrical engineering student and doing my final project. Actually am developing Equivalent circuit for Gunn Diode and I am having difficulty understaning my error in...
Diwali - The festival of lights! Deepavali, or Divali is a major Indian festival, and a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism. [3] Many legends are associated with Diwali....
Lets Discuss here that whts special about this DIWALI at your side. Well from My side i am going to my village after a long time on this diwali
CEan Godfather celebrates his 22[sup]nd[/sup] Birthday today 😁! So here's wishing Godfather - 😁HaPpy Birthday 😁 May your dreams come true! ​
Its happening in Mumbai now! From the raw news that I just got; Rahul Raj, a young man from Bihar tried to hijack a local passenger bus in Mumbai. The...