What is the difference between SUPER KEY and UNIQUE KEY...!??

Please explain me the difference between the super key and unique key..!

Replies

• vinci
    vinci
    UNIQUE KEY DEFINES ALL THE ROWS IN TABLE UNIQUELY .AND BASICALLY OCCURS ONLY SINGLE UNIQUE KEY IN ONE TABLE WHILE SUPER KEY UNIQUELY IDENTIFY A TUPLE AND NOT ALL THE ROWS i.e NO TWO TU PLES HAVE SAME ATTRIBUTES IN SUPER KEY
  • TheV
    TheV
    I am confused....!!! What is the difference between tuples and rows.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    TheV
    I am confused....!!! What is the difference between tuples and rows.
    Tuple is nothing but another name of rows in database

Unique key is just a single attribute (Column) where as super key is a set of attributes

However both have same function ie to identify rows of a table uniquely
  • TheV
    TheV
    Thankyou Goyal....!

But In wikipedia the defination of unique is a one column or a set of columns which Identify the tuples or row uniquely.

First line, second sentence,,..Unique Key
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    TheV
    Thankyou Goyal....!

But In wikipedia the defination of unique is a one column or a set of columns which Identify the tuples or row uniquely.

First line, second sentence,,..Unique Key
    unique key may or may not contain set of column , while super key is basically a set of attributes

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Over hang construction
are the candidates allowed to use calculators in competitive examinations like GATE,IES,CAT and others.??
seems pre final yr students are not eligible to write gate 2012.. is it only for 2012 or for the comin years also???
IBNLive reports that Indian member of parliaments will soon get up to Rs.50k to buy iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tablets. Looks to me that this move has been taken up...
The popular dolphin browser has made an entry to the iphone and ipad. The dolphin browser has lot of fan following on the android devices. Now the popular browser comes...