What is the difference between steam and vapour?

I am a mech engineer and I've this crazy question stuck in mind that I want answered. What is the difference between steam and vapour? Aren't their properties just the same? Why can't these two terms be used interchangeably?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jaspal rautela
    what is the difference between steam and vapour?
    Steam is basically water above the boiling point in the form of gas. Vapour, is evaporated water at any temperature. May apply to other liquids as well.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Steam is noting, but the gaseous state of water, just as ice is the solid form of the same.

But vapor is the gaseous form of any liquid.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Community boards like ours aren't new to spam and spammers. A popular community always attracts spammers like sugar-cube attracts flies. We found out that in the last 2-3 days,...
Can any one explain, how pressure decreases when velocity increases in case of fluids. as the area reduces velocity increases, but the pressure reduces. pressure is inversely proportional to area...
suggest good reference for socket programming in java
yesterday i posted one thread but dint get the answer yet......... Some companies are postponing the date of joining na so getting some what fear.. I got placed in Cognizant...
CEans, I'm a BE graduate and working in MNC as developer. Now I have got 2 years of work experience, I would like to apply for executive mba, or part...