CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@vadhiv • 19 Feb, 2009
hi 2 all and i have some general doubts pl ease clarify

1)explain the diff b/w relay ,switch and circuit breaker

2) give with real time practical examples for easily understandable
3) the power from the distrubution side transformer to houses are in the voltage or the current is it ....?

and but our house appliances works with the current or voltage .. how that voltage is converted to currrent
explain me clearly

please clear the dbts

thanks to all
@Kaustubh Katdare • 19 Feb, 2009 Re: what is the d ifference between

Note: Follow the NO SMS text protocol on CE Forums. Secondly, use proper English, do not mix it with your local language.
@vadhiv • 20 Feb, 2009 i have modified without local language is it ok now or still i have to modify. please let me know.
@silverscorpion • 20 Feb, 2009 well, relay is a electromechanical switch. Because a relay is able to control an output circuit of higher power than the input circuit, it can be considered to be, in a broad sense, a form of an electrical amplifier. A relay has moving contact inside it which is either closed or open in the idle state. Based on that, it's called normally closed or normally open relay. It can drive more power demanding circuits than electronic switches are capable of.

A circuit breaker essentially breaks the supply voltage to the circuit when a certain threshold is crossed, so that the circuit components are saved from damage. The simple fuse in our home electrical connection can be called a circuit breaker.
@ashuashi • 21 Feb, 2009 nicely explained
@sauravgoswami • 23 Feb, 2009 silvercorpian has given you a good explaination about circuit breakers and relays,well power from distribution tranformer is in Voltage itself and applainces in our houses work in voltage itself,you must have noticed household voltage comes with 2Amp current,so use the correct word power!!! hope you understood
@kanya • 23 Feb, 2009 hai,
the answer given by Mr/Miss/Mrs.Silverscrpion is worthy and u could see how it is applied in large scale if u log to any powerstation's "Switchyard" like TTPS..
@bhargavbagi • 22 Dec, 2011 Hi can any one send me the difference between the isolator & Circuit breaker
@neo23 • 28 Dec, 2011 Circuit Breakers break of the contact either automatically when a relay actuates it or either it can be manually closed or opened by a switch. Whereas Isolaters are operated manually only (in cases when a certain maintenance has to be in switchyards , transmission lines or wherever they are used). An isolator is a totally mechanical equipment. Whereas circuit breakers involve electric circuitry and relays for them to operate.
9.1k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Feb 10, 2014

Engineers from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany have been able to create a lightweight yet strong material that replicates the intricate architecture of the human bones using 3D laser...
5.2k views

@safiajen0055 · Feb 11, 2013

Hello Guys, Me Safia & Want to do Robotics engineering in good college in India...Can you tell me which is the best engineering colleges in India for robotics??? Help me...
9.1k views

@Guneet Khanuja · Nov 25, 2014

Thrillophilia, India's biggest online platform to book tours and other activities, was founded by Abhishek Daga and Chitra Gurnani in the year 2009. According to the Alexa traffic rankings, Thrillophilia...
4.8k views

@Ankita Katdare · Feb 17, 2014

A group of researchers from Stanford University and the Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory have come up with an idea of designing an electrode inspired from pomegranate. Just...
9.1k views

@nerdy_me · May 20, 2011

Though single "#" is used to concatenate two strings even in d macros..i.e.try in dev compiler ::#include#include#define delhi(s1,s2) s1#s2using namespace std;main(){char sh[]=delhi("hello","ceans");printf("%s",sh);system("pause");}but I found on net that ## is used...
11.4k views