CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@vadhiv • 19 Feb, 2009
hi 2 all and i have some general doubts pl ease clarify

1)explain the diff b/w relay ,switch and circuit breaker

2) give with real time practical examples for easily understandable
3) the power from the distrubution side transformer to houses are in the voltage or the current is it ....?

and but our house appliances works with the current or voltage .. how that voltage is converted to currrent
explain me clearly

please clear the dbts

thanks to all
@Kaustubh Katdare • 19 Feb, 2009 Re: what is the d ifference between

Note: Follow the NO SMS text protocol on CE Forums. Secondly, use proper English, do not mix it with your local language.
@vadhiv • 20 Feb, 2009 i have modified without local language is it ok now or still i have to modify. please let me know.
@silverscorpion • 20 Feb, 2009 well, relay is a electromechanical switch. Because a relay is able to control an output circuit of higher power than the input circuit, it can be considered to be, in a broad sense, a form of an electrical amplifier. A relay has moving contact inside it which is either closed or open in the idle state. Based on that, it's called normally closed or normally open relay. It can drive more power demanding circuits than electronic switches are capable of.

A circuit breaker essentially breaks the supply voltage to the circuit when a certain threshold is crossed, so that the circuit components are saved from damage. The simple fuse in our home electrical connection can be called a circuit breaker.
@ashuashi • 21 Feb, 2009 nicely explained
@sauravgoswami • 23 Feb, 2009 silvercorpian has given you a good explaination about circuit breakers and relays,well power from distribution tranformer is in Voltage itself and applainces in our houses work in voltage itself,you must have noticed household voltage comes with 2Amp current,so use the correct word power!!! hope you understood
@kanya • 23 Feb, 2009 hai,
the answer given by Mr/Miss/Mrs.Silverscrpion is worthy and u could see how it is applied in large scale if u log to any powerstation's "Switchyard" like TTPS..
@bhargavbagi • 22 Dec, 2011 Hi can any one send me the difference between the isolator & Circuit breaker
@neo23 • 28 Dec, 2011 Circuit Breakers break of the contact either automatically when a relay actuates it or either it can be manually closed or opened by a switch. Whereas Isolaters are operated manually only (in cases when a certain maintenance has to be in switchyards , transmission lines or wherever they are used). An isolator is a totally mechanical equipment. Whereas circuit breakers involve electric circuitry and relays for them to operate.
6.9k views

Related Posts

@Tarique68 · Dec 10, 2010

What is overhauling load on Dc machine?? and also can anyone tell the def: of Lap winding and wave winding in dc machines
2.6k views

@Chaitanya Kukde · Jul 5, 2014

Keeping in mind an ever-growing class of 'mileage-oriented' bike commuters, Honda had launched the 'Dream' series in the budget bikes segment by launching the 'Dream Yuga' in January 2012. After...
22.1k views

@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran · Feb 23, 2014

I am using a windows 7 operated laptop and I am experiencinga bit of problem now. It somehow got to my laptop through my friend pendrive. I used usb disk...
4.4k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 27, 2011

With the number of engineering colleges mushrooming in every part of India...and each one of them trying to host their own tech-fest, it's become more harder than ever to come...
101.8k views

@YUGA · Sep 8, 2008

HAPPAY ENGINEERS DAY, I think We celebrating the ENGINEERS DAY on birth day(15-sept) of Mr.M.VISHWESWARAIH,who is first civil engineer. right?
4.7k views