CrazyEngineers
  • This may seem stupid that I have this query. I see people around me talk about .mkv format ruling whereas .mp4 getting out run. I have seen videos in both the formats and frankly speaking, I havent been able to spot the difference between them. The only thing I figured out was .mkv has an excellent picture quality and sound. Plus it consumes comparatively less space. .mp4 has an exceptional picture quality too but it takes more space. .mkv seems more handy just by observing.

But i wish to know the technical difference between them. And which one is actually better.

Points of comparison that matter to me are
    1. Picture Quality
    2. Sound Quality
    3. SPACE (the less the better)

Please help me choose between them.

(PS: I have a limited data plan)
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberAug 8, 2013

Mkv is far better than mp4 both in terms of size and quality but you want an apt player to play it as most of the mobile players wont play it.If you plan for pc better use vlc and enjoy your movies.
    Mka for audio,Mks for subs and mkv for all in one (video,audio,sub)
    m stands for matroska which in russian means nesting doll.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Nayan Goenka

MemberAug 8, 2013

#-Link-Snipped-#: Thanks for that, but i observed it already. When i watch movies in mkv, they are good. Include everything prehand. Subtitles and all. I wanted technical difference between both of the formats.
    Cancel
  • Jeffrey Arulraj

MemberAug 8, 2013

The way they compress the data is the only difference Mp4 format uses manipulation in white noise for higher order of compression

But This involves playing with noise signal and so this tech is really lossy and has lesser quality
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register