What is the difference between machine and device ?

What is  the difference between machine and  device ?

What is the difference between machine and device ? Are these only two names for the same entity? Can we call a machine a 'device' and vice versa? Looking forward to definitions and explanations. Thank you!

Answer: In this short article, I will talk about the definitions of Machine and a Device and then explore the similarities and differences between them.

Let’s start with the basics.

The terms 'machine' and 'device' are frequently used interchangeably in everyday language.

Although these terms do overlap in some areas, they are not identical in their meaning and usage.

A thorough understanding of the differences between these two terms requires a close examination of their definitions, origins, and applications in various contexts.

Machine

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a machine is "an apparatus using mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task." This definition suggests a complex system with multiple components that interact to accomplish a specific objective. Typically, a machine converts one form of energy into another, often mechanical energy.

Machines have been integral to industrial and technological development throughout history. They range from simple machines, like levers and pulleys, to complex ones like computers and automobiles. A fundamental feature of a machine is its moving parts, which often work in synchronisation to perform its function.

Take a car engine, for example. It's a machine that converts the chemical energy of fuel into mechanical energy.

The engine has multiple components, such as pistons, crankshafts, and valves, which work together in a coordinated manner to drive the car.

Device

The term 'device', on the other hand, is derived from the Old French word 'devis', which meant "will" or "intention".

Over time, the term evolved to mean "a thing made for a particular purpose", as per the Oxford English Dictionary.

A device can be as simple as a single-function tool or as complex as a multi-function gadget. Unlike machines, devices do not necessarily have moving parts or convert energy forms.

A device can refer to an entire system (like a smartphone) or a single component of a system (like a semiconductor in a computer).

Devices are often electronic, and their function can typically be achieved through non-mechanical processes.

An excellent example of a device is a remote control, which sends signals to a TV or another receiver to perform a specific action, like changing channels or adjusting volume.

Overlap and Differences

It is clear from the above definitions that machines and devices are different in their complexity, function, and the way they perform their tasks.

Machines tend to be complex and convert energy, while devices can be simple or complex, often not requiring energy conversion.

There is a significant overlap between the terms 'machine' and 'device'. All machines can be considered devices because they are things made for a particular purpose.

However, not all devices can be considered machines. For example, a simple tool like a screwdriver is a device but not a machine, as it lacks complexity and doesn't convert energy.

In the realm of technology and electronics, the distinction blurs further. A smartphone, for instance, is referred to as a device but it has elements of a machine, like a processor that converts electrical energy to perform computations.

In conclusion, the distinction between a machine and a device is based on factors such as complexity, functionality, and energy conversion. While there is overlap, understanding these subtle differences can help in their proper usage in different contexts.

Replies

• hsirah5
    hsirah5
    Just like the difference between an element and a compound in chemistry terminology... Machine can be a single simple tool or a combination of tools, while a device is a tool developed using few or more simple machines aimed at a specific action/procedure...
    E.g:- An iron rod that can be used to move or roll an object is a simple machine; while a hydraulic car-jack that is used to raise the chassis of the vehicle is a device.
    Hope this gives a good idea.. 😎
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    usually a machine is an elementary unit that can perform a variety of operations depending upon the tools that it consists of; on the other hand a device is sophisticated version that is designed for a particular usage.

for example i n the above conservation, the iron rod is a machine as it can perform a variety of functions like moving an object or lifting it and many other functions that are not incorporated in a hydraulic jack. However a hydraulic jack has got a definite purpose and design.

Machine is thus a fundamental building block of device and the same machine could be used is a number of different devices. However, converse is not true
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    i think they mean the same.

a machine refers to something mechanical and has moving parts.

a device is something electronic and kind of static.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my opinion these are matters of covention.
    In biomedical technology a simple pvc tube cut to length and delivered sterile can be a class ii medical device as also an MRI machine.
    Device can mean many things depending on the context. A machine is usually restricted to something that can be used to perform some mechanical function.
    This article gives some info on the diversity of devices.
    Device
  • Anthony Jarmie
    Anthony Jarmie
    Hello friends,

Machine is anything which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth. Every machine is a device, but every device is not a machine.

Best regards
    Anthony
  • Sourabh Sandal
    Sourabh Sandal
    Any opinion about Transformer.Is It a machine or device?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sourabh Sandal
    Any opinion about Transformer.Is It a machine or device?
    Its a device which usually used to step up or step down voltage to required voltage.
  • lal
    lal
    Tranformer is also called as constant flux 'machine' or constant power 'machine' 😁
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    A machines is a device capable of continous electrmechanical energy conversion like motors , generators. That's why , according to this definition, transformers are not considered as machines since they are only changing the level of electrical energy.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Why to complicate things?? 😨

If I am not wrong we refer device which can be carry along by a person.
    GPS device, mobile device, etc.

and machine is of-course , man made things which help you to reduce human effort.
  • Andreagirl
    Andreagirl
    aarthivg
    what is the difference between machine and device ?
    1. machine is any thing which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth.
    2. every machine is a device but every device is not a machine.1. machine is any thing which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth.
    πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜‰
  • lal
    lal
    naman2511
    A machines is a device capable of continous electrmechanical energy conversion like motors , generators. That's why , according to this definition, transformers are not considered as machines since they are only changing the level of electrical energy.
    Then why is a computer called machine? 😁 There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion as in motors and generators in a computer!

An IC engine is a machine too. There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion in that either!

A tranformer is sometimes called 'the most efficient machine'!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Machine may be an interconnection of devices to increase the efficiency of the work performed

Device is the simple building blocks of machines
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    lal
    Then why is a computer called machine? 😁 There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion as in motors and generators in a computer!

An IC engine is a machine too. There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion in that either!

A tranformer is sometimes called 'the most efficient machine'!
    knowledegeable persons dont't call computer a machine...That is leyman language ..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    naman2511
    knowledegeable persons dont't call computer a machine...That is leyman language ..
    Ask a person who work/play with computers for 10 hours a day, you will get the answer πŸ˜‰
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    Seems like u never worked on computers. Thats why u are indulging another person. Nevertheless let me tell u...comupter is not a machine...further u know...
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Probably, yes sire, because I am posting this from Lisa.β˜•
  • lal
    lal
    So, what is 'machine language'? 😁 Should be a layman's term too!
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    i think m/c is the device which requires some king of input supply of any kind its electrical or mechanical but a device may be any thing it also includes machine or the mini parts of the machine or the whole machine is device. and a machine always lessen the human effort but a device can't be in this category.but human needs both machine and device but we can say that all the machines are the device but all devices can't be machine.if i am wrong pls correct me friends.
  • Dinesh Patra
    Dinesh Patra
    I think machine has moving parts but devices may have both static or moving parts capable of some type of conversion action definitely.
  • Gohanamis
    Gohanamis
    A machine has moving parts, a device can be anything that reduces human effort whether it has moving parts or not.

Examples of a machine are: an elevator, automobile, or a personal desktop computer (it has fans, which are moving parts).

A device can be a hammer, crowbar (though they can be moved, their nature as a tool is to remain static) or a cellphone/smartphone/tablet (but once you add something like a cooling fan, it would become a machine).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I really need some topics for my thesis. I'm an ECE student! I would like to have a thesis which is not currently existing yet will be beneficial to the...
Nipun Mehta's speech on graduation day at University of Pennsylvania got a standing ovation. It is inspiring. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27178479/Travelers.doc
Hi, My name is Bosoro Babatunde. A recent graduate of electrical and electronics engineering. I'm really inquisitive about life and as to how Engineering affects it. I have a lot...
Name: Atanas *Engineering Trade: Structural enginering Location: Bulgaria *Occupation: Been running my small company, been trying to swim, not to sink Work Experience: (if applicable) Applicable 😁 *Hobbies & Interests:...
I an electrical engineer working at a thermal power station