CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@aarthivg • 23 May, 2012
What is the difference between machine and device ? Are these only two names for the same entity? Can we call a machine a 'device' and vice versa? Looking forward to definitions and explanations. Thank you!
@hsirah5 • 24 May, 2012 Just like the difference between an element and a compound in chemistry terminology... Machine can be a single simple tool or a combination of tools, while a device is a tool developed using few or more simple machines aimed at a specific action/procedure...
E.g:- An iron rod that can be used to move or roll an object is a simple machine; while a hydraulic car-jack that is used to raise the chassis of the vehicle is a device.
Hope this gives a good idea.. 😎
@pratap singh, upendra • 24 May, 2012 • 1 like usually a machine is an elementary unit that can perform a variety of operations depending upon the tools that it consists of; on the other hand a device is sophisticated version that is designed for a particular usage.

for example i n the above conservation, the iron rod is a machine as it can perform a variety of functions like moving an object or lifting it and many other functions that are not incorporated in a hydraulic jack. However a hydraulic jack has got a definite purpose and design.

Machine is thus a fundamental building block of device and the same machine could be used is a number of different devices. However, converse is not true
@zaveri • 26 May, 2012 i think they mean the same.

a machine refers to something mechanical and has moving parts.

a device is something electronic and kind of static.
@Ramani Aswath • 26 May, 2012 In my opinion these are matters of covention.
In biomedical technology a simple pvc tube cut to length and delivered sterile can be a class ii medical device as also an MRI machine.
Device can mean many things depending on the context. A machine is usually restricted to something that can be used to perform some mechanical function.
This article gives some info on the diversity of devices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device
@Anthony Jarmie • 26 May, 2012 Hello friends,

Machine is anything which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth. Every machine is a device, but every device is not a machine.

Best regards
Anthony
@Sourabh Sandal • 21 Aug, 2013 Any opinion about Transformer.Is It a machine or device?
@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran • 21 Aug, 2013
Sourabh Sandal
Any opinion about Transformer.Is It a machine or device?
Its a device which usually used to step up or step down voltage to required voltage.
@lal • 21 Aug, 2013 • 1 like Tranformer is also called as constant flux 'machine' or constant power 'machine' 😁
@Naman Agarwal • 09 Sep, 2013 A machines is a device capable of continous electrmechanical energy conversion like motors , generators. That's why , according to this definition, transformers are not considered as machines since they are only changing the level of electrical energy.
@Anoop Kumar • 09 Sep, 2013 Why to complicate things?? 😨

If I am not wrong we refer device which can be carry along by a person.
GPS device, mobile device, etc.

and machine is of-course , man made things which help you to reduce human effort.
@Andreagirl • 10 Sep, 2013
aarthivg
what is the difference between machine and device ?
1. machine is any thing which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth.
2. every machine is a device but every device is not a machine.1. machine is any thing which reduces human effort while device is used to make machine operations smooth.
👎😉
@lal • 10 Sep, 2013
naman2511
A machines is a device capable of continous electrmechanical energy conversion like motors , generators. That's why , according to this definition, transformers are not considered as machines since they are only changing the level of electrical energy.
Then why is a computer called machine? 😁 There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion as in motors and generators in a computer!

An IC engine is a machine too. There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion in that either!

A tranformer is sometimes called 'the most efficient machine'!
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 11 Sep, 2013 Machine may be an interconnection of devices to increase the efficiency of the work performed

Device is the simple building blocks of machines
@Naman Agarwal • 04 Oct, 2013
lal
Then why is a computer called machine? 😁 There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion as in motors and generators in a computer!

An IC engine is a machine too. There isn't any electromechanical energy conversion in that either!

A tranformer is sometimes called 'the most efficient machine'!
knowledegeable persons dont't call computer a machine...That is leyman language ..
@Anoop Kumar • 04 Oct, 2013
naman2511
knowledegeable persons dont't call computer a machine...That is leyman language ..
Ask a person who work/play with computers for 10 hours a day, you will get the answer 😉
@Naman Agarwal • 04 Oct, 2013 Seems like u never worked on computers. Thats why u are indulging another person. Nevertheless let me tell u...comupter is not a machine...further u know...
@Anoop Kumar • 04 Oct, 2013 Probably, yes sire, because I am posting this from Lisa.☕
@lal • 04 Oct, 2013 So, what is 'machine language'? 😁 Should be a layman's term too!
@yogi.bharadwaj • 05 Oct, 2013 i think m/c is the device which requires some king of input supply of any kind its electrical or mechanical but a device may be any thing it also includes machine or the mini parts of the machine or the whole machine is device. and a machine always lessen the human effort but a device can't be in this category.but human needs both machine and device but we can say that all the machines are the device but all devices can't be machine.if i am wrong pls correct me friends.
@Dinesh Patra • 11 Oct, 2015 I think machine has moving parts but devices may have both static or moving parts capable of some type of conversion action definitely.
@Gohanamis • 03 Dec, 2015 A machine has moving parts, a device can be anything that reduces human effort whether it has moving parts or not.

Examples of a machine are: an elevator, automobile, or a personal desktop computer (it has fans, which are moving parts).

A device can be a hammer, crowbar (though they can be moved, their nature as a tool is to remain static) or a cellphone/smartphone/tablet (but once you add something like a cooling fan, it would become a machine).
@Mohana Chandra • 24 Feb, 2020

Machine:

• Machine has moving parts like pulleys,lever,screw,axle etc .Means that, machine is combination of the moving parts.
  • Machine reduces the human effort,cost and time
  • Every machine is a device.
  • Eg: Clock ,Calculator etc.

Device:

• Device can be the combination of machines that designed to perform specific task.
  • Device can be Mechanical or Electrical tool.
  • Every Device is not a machine.
  • Eg: Printer,Keyboard,Computer etc.

22.9k views

Related Posts

@sabeel_ekm · Jul 8, 2015

Hi guys, Can anyone suggest me some good short course to do after ECE...Is UNIX course better??..Plz Help me in finding courses in Bangalore or Kerala. I also applied for...
4.4k views

@Radhika Deshpande · Aug 9, 2015

Born and brought up in Bangalore, Srinath Sudarshan hails from a middle class family with no business background. He has completed his graduation in automobile engineering from Malnad College of...
7.7k views

@Chaitali Sumita · May 8, 2010

hey guyzz... can you clear my concept regarding flux??? What is flux??what is the difference between electric flux and magnetic flux?? what is flux density?? eagerly waiting for your replies....
11.1k views

@vipandeep · Mar 21, 2011

There are two poles of equal height 15mts. One cable with length 16mts is hanging between that two poles. The height from center of the cable to earth is 7mts...
5k views

@Naman Agarwal · Aug 17, 2012

how can we proove that the frequency of dc is zero???
5.6k views