@therealabdo • 01 Jun, 2010

I am countering a problem facing KVR in power systems I just to know what makes it different to KVA and KW?

@lal • 02 Jun, 2010 • 1 like An electric circuit, for its working consumes energy. And energy consumed per unit time is what we call power.

The total power consumed is represented as KVA (kilo volt ampere). But in this total power a part only does the useful work (assuming my load is not purely resistive 😀). The useful power here is called active power, ie KW. The remaining component, the one which do nothing useful is called reactive power or KVR.

We can represent these three as the sides of a right triangle. Total power as the hypotnuse, active power as the cosine component and the other as the sine component. The angle between the active power and total power is the phase angle between current and voltage.
@lal • 02 Jun, 2010 'Due to some network problems, i posted the same thing twice!'

If you are considering a purely resistive load, the current and voltage would be in phase. In such a situation the total power cosumed (KVA) would be equal to active power (KW). There is no reactive power (KVR).
@lal • 02 Jun, 2010 So i guess it is clear that the phase angle has a role in deciding the active and reactive power components. Since we are interested in active power, we need to increase it. For the same, by some means we decrease the phase difference between current and voltage to the lowest possible value. An example, if your load is inductive, the current lags the voltage by some angle. To compensate this we shall introduce a capacitor in series.
@therealabdo • 02 Jun, 2010 thank you very much it was really useful 😁
@Kaustubh Katdare • 01 Feb, 2020

The KVA, which should actually be written as kVA (where k stands for kilo) is typically referred as kW (kilowatt). This is the unit that is used to rate most of the electrical equipments we use at home. 

The actual electric power we receive at home is can be divided into two main types: the kW and kVAR aka Kilovolt-Ampere Reactive. The former stands for the "real" or actual power. The kVAR on the other hand stands for the reactive power. Lal has offered a good explanation above. 

Just to understand it better - active power is the one that actually gets converted into light, heat and sound.

The reactive power, on the other hand is the one that produces magnetic fields that can rotate the shaft of electric motor; and is dependent on the power factor. 

@Ramya Bhandaru • 03 Feb, 2020

kVA is kilo Volt Amps, and is found by measuring the voltage and current separately, and then multiplying them together. It is the measure of “apparent power”.

kW is kilo Watts, and is found by measuring the voltage and current simultaneously, and multiplying them point by point in phase with each other. It is the measure of “actual power” or “useful power”.

@Venkat Sai Nakkina • 03 Feb, 2020 • 1 like

he KVA, which should actually be written as kVA (where k stands for kilo) is typically referred as kW (kilowatt). This is the unit that is used to rate most of the electrical equipments we use at home. 

The actual electric power we receive at home is can be divided into two main types: the kW and kVAR aka Kilovolt-Ampere Reactive. The former stands for the "real" or actual power. The kVAR on the other hand stands for the reactive power. Lal has offered a good explanation above. 

Just to understand it better - active power is the one that actually gets converted into light, heat and sound.

The reactive power, on the other hand is the one that produces magnetic fields that can rotate the shaft of electric motor; and is dependent on the power factor. 

Related Posts

I thought of compiling a list of the coolest and the best whatsapp group names that you've been using for your respective groups. For the sake of convenience, we'll stick...
A simple good bye email or last working day mail ain't cool! We've some awesome templates that you can use. If you're looking for an amazing Last Working Day email...
Hello CEans, How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage? Please help!
I heard many students are having a trouble registering on the TCS Portal, when it's quite straightforward actually. If you have problem in attaching photos or CV, Use internet explorer...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...