What is the difference between efficiency and gain?

can anyone explain the difference between efficiency and gain with detail?

please give me technical answer ..    

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Input -> System -> Output

Output/Input x 100 = %Efficiency

1 kg diesel put into an engine say gives an output of 4.6 KWHr. ! kg diesel gives 10000 KCal energy. 4.6 KWHr is equal to 4000 KCals. 

So, Efficiency = 100x(4000/10000)= 40%

Gain = Input-Output

There is 5 litres water at 50 deg C in an open vessel on a stove. It is losing 5 KCal/min by radiation and evaporation. If 10 KCal/min is given to the vessel by the stove, then       the net heat input into the water is 10-5=5KCal/min.

Gain = 10-5 =5 Kcal/min. The water will heat up at the rate of 5 deg C/minute.

These are rather quick and dirty examples.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Take the water example 10 KCal/ Min was put in. What was the output? Not the 5 Kcal lost by radiation and evaporation but the % KCal gained by the water. So efficiency is 100x(5/10)=50%.

Unfortunately, the loss = gain so the % was the midpoint in this case. The important thing is to know what the actual output is.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I apologise for an arithmetic error in my first post. 5 Kcal/min added to 5 litres of water will increase the temperature by 5/5=10C/min and not 50C.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today my friend explain to me this idea about hotspot configuration in Mikrotik router. that when I user what to connect to the wireless I will ask you to like...
I am pursuing computer science engineering in 3rd year i want to get job in top automobile industry so how and where i can apply.
God save us from God-men like Niyanandahttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ukgvkc6ce83fank/Nitya.mp4?dl=0
The Engineer(UK) reports: The familiar blue and orange livery is gone, and the “doghouse” headquarters near the Bristol docks is no more, but team Bloodhound is once again preparing to...
Netflix has just introduced a "Mobile" subscription plan that does not offer HD quality. You won't be able to view Netflix content on bigger screen; but the plan costs only...