CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Naman Agarwal • 04 Sep, 2012
What Is The Difference B/w Regulator And Stabilizer??
@Kaustubh Katdare • 04 Sep, 2012
naman2511
How about referring to the textbook and finding out the answer? Go ahead and share your findings with us 😀
@Mathivanan_don • 04 Sep, 2012 • 1 like
naman2511
Regulator- Vary the constant voltage to any desired level using transformer
Stabilizer- Maintain constant voltage level incase of voltage fluctuations using buck boost mechanism
@NAVATHE SACHIN • 04 Sep, 2012 i would like to tell that,if the voltage is constant then how it is varied in case of regulator.
@Mathivanan_don • 04 Sep, 2012
N.SACHIN
i would like to tell that,if the voltage is constant then how it is varied in case of regulator.
The voltage can be varied using step up or step down transformers. Nowadays readily available ic's like 78xx can do this...😉
@Naman Agarwal • 05 Sep, 2012
Mathivanan_don
Regulator- Vary the constant voltage to any desired level using transformer
Stabilizer- Maintain constant voltage level incase of voltage fluctuations using buck boost mechanism
but i always hear in day to day life that we should have a stabilizer to increase the voltage..so is regulator mechanism present in stabilizers??
@Mathivanan_don • 05 Sep, 2012 A stabilizer will have constant o/p voltage. for e.g We use stabilizer for home appliances like fridge, a.c, t.v, etc. The stabilizer decrease or increase the available voltage to maintain the o/p constant, this is called buck or boost.
@NAVATHE SACHIN • 05 Sep, 2012 Then,what is the difference between stabilizer and step up and step down transformer.
@Mathivanan_don • 05 Sep, 2012
N.SACHIN
Then,what is the difference between stabilizer and step up and step down transformer.
Stabilizer consist of step up and step down transformer.
@arunchary • 05 Sep, 2012 stabilizer is use to maintain the load constant voltages and currents...that is so called stabilization.it may consists of voltage regulator configurations for DC loads and AC loads have an zenar diode which is a non linear.but voltage regulators like 78xx series we have linear..so , stabilizers have buck and boost configured transformers....then we will obtain constant load power across the load for more lifespan.regulators are used for DC power supplies...
@Naman Agarwal • 19 Sep, 2012 actually regulator regulates the voltage..i mean it increases or decreases the voltage upto a particular value and then stabilizes ut at that value...while function of stabilizer is that it only stops fluctuations...ie., it maintains a particular voltage,...so we can say that a regulator can be a stabilizer but stabilizer cant be a regulator..
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 19 Sep, 2012
Mathivanan_don
Stabilizer consist of step up and step down transformer.
Most stabilisers are not having both step up and step down transformers they have SMPS ( Switch Mode Power Supply ) which provide a consistent op for a range of inputs
@anusha venkat • 21 Sep, 2012
  • stabilizer is a device that stabilizes and regulator is the one that regulates!!! 😛
@Nishant Patel • 21 Sep, 2012 No,Regulator regulates Voltage..means keeps the o/p voltage fixed..
Consider 7805,7806,7812..they give o/p V of 5,6 and 12 resp. dc voltage.
so to avoid fluctuations regulator is used. and stabilizer it left me confused.
@naveee • 21 Sep, 2012
naman2511
we use ZENER diode in regulator ..... but we step up or step down transformer in stabiliser........am i rite???
@arunchary • 21 Sep, 2012 hi CEion,please follow the link to get out from confusion ok,.
https://www.ehow.com/how-does_5037887_voltage-stabilizers-work.html
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 22 Sep, 2012
naveee
we use ZENER diode in regulator ..... but we step up or step down transformer in stabiliser........am i rite???
I don't think that is the stabiliser is used to stablize the op it does not use transformers as the size of them will have to be larger but they use SMPS tech to regulate
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 22 Sep, 2012
naveee
Zener diode is one of the methods of regulation there are many more alternatives to it available now
@naveee • 22 Sep, 2012
jeffrey samuel
I don't think that is the stabiliser is used to stablize the op it does not use transformers as the size of them will have to be larger but they use SMPS tech to regulate
wat is SMPS ????
@arunchary • 23 Sep, 2012 smps introduction and types are discussed in following pdf.
@naveee • 23 Sep, 2012 • 1 like
anusha venkat
  • stabilizer is a device that stabilizes and regulator is the one that regulates!!! 😛
joke ??
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012 It is a huge topic worth going through Wikipedia my pal
@naveee • 23 Sep, 2012
jeffrey samuel
It is a huge topic worth going through Wikipedia my pal
wikipedia is huger than topic 😛 😛
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012 Yeah true SMPS convert low freq high voltage into high freq and low voltage and stably provides any desired op over a period of time

but this is not most case so go through it
@naveee • 23 Sep, 2012 kay
@Naman Agarwal • 23 Sep, 2012
jeffrey samuel
i dont agree with tour comment that they have SMPS...SMPS are used in adaptors etc to step down the voltage without use of transformer...
and u can see that the home stabilizers are too heavy to handle..coz they have transformers...
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012 What you have is one form of SMPS if both the step up and down transformer of floating input rating is used then the stabliser size and power it consumes will be too much for it to be used
@Naman Agarwal • 23 Sep, 2012 whatever it is...but the stabilizers contains transformers not SMPS...i believe so
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012 just google the circuit and i found this

https://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgu...FsLRrQeGxIDgCw&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQ9QEwCw&dur=1012
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012 you got to explain that to me pal i deal more in electronics than in electrical power systems
@Naman Agarwal • 23 Sep, 2012
jeffrey samuel
you got to explain that to me pal i deal more in electronics than in electrical power systems
i dela in electrical but not dealt with SMPS yet...i hope that this topic will come soon in my subject...till then u can wait or opt for google to know more.. 😀
@anusha venkat • 23 Sep, 2012 ma
naveee
joke ??
may b!!😉
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012
anusha venkat
ma
may b!!😉
not so encouraging pal
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 23 Sep, 2012
naman2511
i dela in electrical but not dealt with SMPS yet...i hope that this topic will come soon in my subject...till then u can wait or opt for google to know more.. 😀
I see then you got me there pal
@ganesh p • 24 Sep, 2012
The_Big_K
How about referring to the textbook and finding out the answer? Go ahead and share your findings with us 😀
giving suggestion is very is yar.
1.5k views

Related Posts

@cchandansjce · Apr 14, 2012

Hi Ceans , Can anybody give me the microcontroller code to monitor flow rate and volume of the liquid ??
1.4k views

@Aditya Deshmukh · Dec 26, 2014

Finally the air has been cleared by some leaks that confirms Samsung is coming with a new Tizen-based smartphone. This time live photos of Samsung Z1 were caught and it...
1.3k views

@Maheshkaranam · Aug 4, 2015

In which stream can we explore better in present scenario of IT field..Can anyone give a clear idea about SAP, JAVA, .NET, ORACLE, BIPM, UNIX CPP, ASSURANCE, MAINFRAMES ETC..
10.3k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jul 9, 2013

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini price in India is Rs. 27,990 and those who didn't want to break their banks may look forward to acquiring this mini-pack for lesser price. But...
4.2k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 5, 2011

1. Fabrication of Remote operated weapon System 2. Automatic double axis Pneumatic JCB 3. Automatic Car Parking System for apartment Building 4. PLC based automatic Multi-machine Lubrication System 5. Electronic...
23.3k views