What is SSID?

can anyone tell me what is SSID and for which purpose it used?

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    SSID stand for Service Set Identifier

It is the name given to a Wireless Local Area Network or WLAN. The devices connected to the same WLAN must all have the same SSID configurred so as to communicate with each other.

SSID's are actually text strings and are acase sensitive. They are alphanumeric characters ( combination) and maximum length is 32 cahracters or numbers.

SSID is set up by the network administrator on the access point and then broadcast to all the other machineds connected to that WAP. SSID can be either manually set up by entering the SSID into the client network settings or can be done automatically.

In case a infiltrator tries to scan for the SSID of a WLAN to get access to the network, it does not mean that he gets access to the WLAN because the security settings including how strong is the WEP comes into action here.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Nice and crisp explanation Rohan.

-CB
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    thank you all

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a bit confused about ip address. In cmd my ip address is 192.168.***.*** but when i goto site whatismyipadress.com it shows something like 122.161.***.*** .what is this and...
hiiiiiiii any one tell me, how can i develop a multilingual web application with JSP/SERVLET.Please answer me as soon as possible.......๐Ÿ˜ viswas kumar email id
Hello fellow engineers! Name: Jason *Engineering Trade: Aerospace Location: US, West Coast *Occupation: New Grad. Had a nice job lined up straight out of college until they announced massive layoffs...
Can any body suggest me literature about foulig factors for various fludis
HI DEAR FRDS IAM TARUN PERSUING MY ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGG FROM ANAND ENGG. COLLEGE,AGRA I NEED SOME ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT CAN BE DONE IN THE FINAL YEAR INFACT...