what is speed of packets?

As in internet information is transferred in the form of packets?
can anyone tell me what is speed of these packets and if it is not fixed on what factors does it depends?

Replies

• vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    as far as i know packets are data in small form.
    sorry if i am wrong about this.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yes vinod you are right packets are actually data
    but my question how can we estimate speed of packets and on what factors does it depends?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I dont know the actual speed and i think its a little bit tuf job to do.....as it depends on various factors like cable quality or what type of connection u are using i.e. its a wi-fi,broadband or 3G.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    It should depend on the data rate of a connection, processing time at the switches and routers and the QoS parameters of the connection.
    For eg if you take a LAN with hub , then you might expect delays becasue of the shared communcation media as the bandwidth is divided between all the ports.
    If you talk about LAN with a switch, all the bandwidht is dedicated to one port at one time.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Assuming that All the network infrastructure like Routers, Switches, cables..etc. is perfect & operating on the same speed 1 Gbit for example and the other end's infrastructure is similar then we're talking perfect as sender-receiver & assuming the packets cables way from the sender to the receiver is perfect & at least Cat5...

Simply, assume everything is perfect & operates at the same speed (1 Gbit/sec), the 32-bit packet will be transferred in :

1 Gbit = 1099511627776 bits

32/1099511627776 = 2.9 x 10^-11 of a second. (2900 nanoseconds)

Finally, assume that all what I assumed is right.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hehe! Maro, you do it the practical way ( data rate)๐Ÿ˜

but that value is valid only for a 4 byte packet ona gigabit datarate right?
    If you consider a voip packet the MTU can go as high as 1500 bytes right??? so dont you think the baove value migth vary???
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Change the variables as you need, I just *invented* the law ๐Ÿ˜
  • sookie
    sookie
    [SPAM]
    MaRo
    Change the variables as you need, I just *invented* the law ๐Ÿ˜
    Ultimate law. Completely agree with it. ๐Ÿ˜

[/SPAM]
  • srikanth509
    srikanth509
    goyal420
    As in internet information is transferred in the form of packets?
    can anyone tell me what is speed of these packets and if it is not fixed on what factors does it depends?
    it is mainly depend on the bandwidth of the cable which is used for communicate.
  • srikanth509
    srikanth509
    actually packet is a small module of data.
    i think packet speed is depend on the bandwidth of the cable which is used to communicate.
    sorry, if it is wrong ?
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Packets here means IP packets, whole packet is never send together. Packets are broken into fragments & each fragment has its identification no. . So it will be more specific if we talk about ip fragments.
    Ok. suppose we have a line from Delhi to New York, its a direct connection, no routers in between. In that case its speed will be comparable to the speed of electron in the physical layer of tcp model which is comparable to the speed of light.
    Now put some 10 routers or switches or hubs in between, now speed of packet (or fragments) will be affected by QoS & queuing algo of the network devices. You can infact see how many routers are between your pc & another pc by command > tracert IP_address

Many people here are talking about bandwidth, its just means no. of fragments hitting your system. If you have 3G connection you will have more bandwidth & if you have dialup then less bandwidth, there's no affect on speed of packets.
    There can't be any formula to determine the packets speed without taking into account the characterstics of network devices used.
    one more thing that many people don't know is all the continents are connected by wires laid in the oceans that's responsible for our internet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

GATE 2010 Admit Card Status-IIT GUWAHATI GATE 2010 Admit Card Status-IIT KANPUR GATE 2010 Admit Card Status-IIT ROORKEE
Its official, folks! Oracle will be the proud owner of SUN Microsystems after shelling out about $7.5 billion. Official press release: EUROPA - Press Releases - Mergers: Commission clears Oracle's...
can i actually create a torrent and upload it to my own website instead of some other web site like mininova or the pirate bay i want to share my...
I am a 3rd year mechanical engineering student.Can you say Which subject will be easy for design and fabrication project?
i need a circuit diagram to construct a RFID reader.