What is port forwarding & why do we need to do so ?

hi ceans,

I want to know that what actually means port forwarding & why we need to do so i.e why we need to forward ports to router.

waiting for reply.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Consider you have a router at your home , having more than one computer associated to it.
    The IP address of the router might be something like "10.10.10.0" . all the remaining computers within the LAN have addresses 10.10.10.x. Rememeber that , this ONLY with respect to your LAN (within your LAN), once from internet things are complelty different, you have a unique IP address from internet point of view. Hence can be said that your router has two addresses 1. assigned by internet and 2 assigned amonsgt your local LAN.

so when a data packet is received to your router address, your router should be able to determine which amongst your internal LAN computers the packet needs to be forwarded to for which service. This is called as port forwarding.
    for more details about ports refer to ->#-Link-Snipped-#

feel free to correct above explanation.
  • faizaan
    faizaan
    durga
    Consider you have a router at your home , having more than one computer associated to it.
    The IP address of the router might be something like "10.10.10.0" . all the remaining computers within the LAN have addresses 10.10.10.x. Rememeber that , this ONLY with respect to your LAN (within your LAN), once from internet things are complelty different, you have a unique IP address from internet point of view. Hence can be said that your router has two addresses 1. assigned by internet and 2 assigned amonsgt your local LAN.

so when a data packet is received to your router address, your router should be able to determine which amongst your internal LAN computers the packet needs to be forwarded to for which service. This is called as port forwarding.
    for more details about ports refer to ->#-Link-Snipped-#

feel free to correct above explanation.
    Thankyou for your reply,

I also want to know that why we need to forward port to router .what will be the scenario if we not do so & what actually router does when we forward port to it .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am doing this project on Solar Panel (Maximum Power Point tracker) using Labview program and i need some help. Anyone has experience or any idea how to produce this...
Dear all, I just graduated as a mechanical engineering student and currently been working as a facility engineer which i've to cover all the systems in the building i.e hospital...
Does any body know links to good ebooks on robtics?
Well I started this thread after reading Ash's thread regarding the firewall suggestion. So as far as my knowledge is concerned "Anti virus will kill virus " Firewall is something...
please anyone provide me a working ir sensor circuit which can be used in line follower. i have tried about 5-6 circuits on breadboard i found on internet but nothing...