What is meant by ring counter and johnson counter?

Recently I came across this term in my book and I've no idea of what it really is. Please provide clarity.!

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    From what I can recollect, I read about this while reading about shift registers.
    Ring Counter :In this the bit is moved sequentially through the registers . For example for a three bit counter it counts like: 001,010,100 etc.
    In case of Johnson counter, it is a ring counter in which the previous input is retained as well as shifted and the counting goes like 001,011,111 etc.
    I am not sure about the concepts👎. Hope for some better explanation by fellow CE-an😒
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ring counter counts n number of states

whereas the johnson counter counts 2n states 000 001 011 111 110 100 000 are states of 3 flip flops Johnson counter
  • Priyambada ojha
    Priyambada ojha
    A ring counter is one in which the o/p of last flip-flop is fed back to the first flip-flop whereas in johnson counter the scenario is otherwise......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear all, hello, i am Amaid originally from Pakistan but working in Qatar as a Structural Design Engineer.
hey frndss please answer can I transfer my college after completion of my 2nd year in engineering ? both the colleges are of same Pune university ! my present college...
on which factor/factors does the Drift current in semiconductor depends? electric field or carrier concentration gradient or both?
Anyone have knowledge about"development of a sensory based motion planner for a robot" (state of the art)
Hi! Me new here. Have a centrifugal fan (Boiler ID) of 120,000 m3/Hr capacity, handling a max of 80,000 m3/Hr of Boiler flue gases. Fan discharges max head 2.3 kpa...