What is meant by "allignment" ?

This term comes into usage whenever an electric motor or generator has to overhauled (dismantled and re-assembled).

now what exactly does this mean ?

i have heard that, the machine will fail to work after re-assembly, if this is not properly taken care of.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    ANISH PETER
    "alignment" is the positioning of the rotational centers of two or more shafts such that they are co-linear when the machines are under normal operating conditions.

thanks but somehow i am not convinced. can you elaborate, what you just said ?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

any ideas guys ?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Alignment simply means the relative position between two parts.
    Now in context of Electrical motors (or alternators ), by alignment it means proper arrangement of rotor shaft with respect to stator.(Another issue is shaft misalignment which is already explained above by Anish Peter).

If alignment is not proper ,naturally the rotor will come in contact with stator and cause damage ,noise and other mechanical stresses.
    Leave the condition of rotor & stator contact, even small improper alignment can cause a non - uniform air gap between stator and rotor (non-uniform air gap is there in a type of synchronous motor but its due to protruding rotor poles and is by design).
    Width of air gap is very important design parameter as it decides flux and armature reaction.
    Over all misalignment results into mal-functioning of machine.

Hope that helps .
  • Annu1769
    Annu1769
    How both the shafts are aligned properly is checked ? What is the acceptance limit of misalignment.
    Can anybody provide any literature about alignmnet

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can someone tell me why is transformer efficiency is higher than motor and generator? Transformer efficiency is generally greater than 95%, while that of the motors its ~70%. Both are...
Hello, I was working on optimizing SQLs and tuning some long running queries and was stuck with this. Is it possible to insert data from one table to another in...
Looks like Google's project glass has made many electronics giants across the world rethink their future plans. The latest USPTO filing lists that even Apple's secretly working on wearable gadgets....
This thread is dedicated to all the Civil Engineering subjects and relevant book suggestions. Discuss / suggest books for each of the subjects included in civil engineering studies - Admin....
i want to know to some intersting project which we can do during our enng. period.....