What is industrial engineering all about ?

when i was young, i was given the impression that, this branch dealt with machinery and stuff.

yesterday i was browsing the list of my 8th semester electives, and found this topic as an option. i went through its syllabus and found that more than engineering, it sounded like a management paper.

Replies

• chithrachennai
    chithrachennai
    hai
    ur profile says u r amechanical engineer . are u asking abt PG discipline ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    i went through its syllabus and found that more than engineering, it sounded like a management paper.
    In a sense it is. It started as optimising production engineering. Now it has grown tentacles like an octopus and straddles many specialities, including operations research, healthcare delivery management and many other areas.
    One common thing seems to be a stress on mathematical methods for operations and process optimization. I t is essentially a quantitative approach to various kinds of process/operations optimization. There is very little of actual manufacturing machinery in it, though the curriculum is fairly comprehensive and will include all aspects of engineering.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    chithrachennai
    hai
    ur profile says u r amechanical engineer . are u asking abt PG discipline ?
    You are right, but i have this subject as an elective choice.
  • Ahmed el-rsheed
    Ahmed el-rsheed
    what is the industrial electronics engineering???
  • hare singh nayak
    hare singh nayak
    i would say industrial engineering is more of a sort of engineering cum management branch. There is a quantitative way of finding the solutions. Its main emphasis is on the subjects like mmathematics and physics along with the principles of engineering design and analysis. Nowadays it has widespread application in almost all the areas like automobile industry, generator industry, hospitals, security system etc etc. in this branch you actually would learn a lot of management subjects such as financial management, marketing management, product life cycle management, operations management, supply chain management and much more. it is one of the faster developing branches of engineering............
  • Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    basically in industrial engg. along with production processes we also go through the techniques of hw to optimize our resources, outputs, hw to increase productivity, also deal with quality, planning and maintenances techniques. it also evolves new generation production techniques like TPM, SIX SIGMA, 5S JIT and many others.

in short industrial engg. or we can say value engg. is a branch of engineering in which we deals with the analysis nd optimization of our resource and by value adding determine the lowest value product with highest quality offered.
    best of luck dude.....its gonna be a good to knw these things..in short.

if u looking for some regarding any topic, i m here to help u...!
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Great replies.... How will be the career for a mechanical engineer (after 2 years experience)with Masters in Industrial Engineering?
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    For a career with industrial engineering, you can always look for specializations like power plants, or steel or oil and gas... also production line managers in automobile productions etc. are a very good place for industrial engineering wherein the lean manufacturing and constant inventory in production lines... etc..
  • Geetam Bharadwaj
    Geetam Bharadwaj
    Industrial engineering is nothing but combination of electronics and mechanical engineering. Its sounds perfect if you call it as Mechatronics.
    An Industrial engineer should have a sound knowledge of mechanical, electronics and electrical systems.
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    ^Industrial Engineering is basically just a specialization of mechanical engineering as applicable to industrial processes. It is a semi-management degree of a lower level in that it keeps you close to the process but teaches you to optimize it. Think of it as "Process Optimization Engineering".
  • Alok6049
    Alok6049
    Engg.Dee
    basically in industrial engg. along with production processes we also go through the techniques of hw to optimize our resources, outputs, hw to increase productivity, also deal with quality, planning and maintenances techniques. it also evolves new generation production techniques like TPM, SIX SIGMA, 5S JIT and many others.

in short industrial engg. or we can say value engg. is a branch of engineering in which we deals with the analysis nd optimization of our resource and by value adding determine the lowest value product with highest quality offered.
    best of luck dude.....its gonna be a good to knw these things..in short.

if u looking for some regarding any topic, i m here to help u...!
    hey i wud like to know more about TPM
    can u pls help me

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After seeing some tough puzzles, thought I would post a simple one. Below it is. Pacchi has three boxes of fruits. One is full of mangoes, one full of bananas...
i want to get terminologies on railway engg. with brief description
Respected sir,, Myself yaman kumar Y N From Bangalore ,presently studying in final yaer in electrical and electronics engineering ,,as i mentioned above topic is my project ,,"The sag monitoring...
hello every one. i am nihalini . i am planning to organise an event on engineers day. can u people plz give me new ideas.
Ok, the same have been put in my blog as well (given the popularity of my blog (0)), I though double-posting here might help more people . Here are some...