what is HPFS

hello friends,

I want to know that why HPFS is not recommended in small systems with less then 16 MB of RAM?
HPFS stands for High Performance File System.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    HPFS keeps information in a disk cache area of memory until it needs to be written to disk.

This creates a problem.
    Because a user must insure that all the information has been properly written to disk by shutting the system down through command rather than just turning the 'power off'.

The HPFS code and cache use a significant amount of memory, and the loss of memory affects performance, therefore HPFS is not recommended on small systems with less than 8-16 megabytes of RAM.

Obviously this is not an issue in today's memory loaded systems.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @ AbaraKaDabra thanks for your information.

As we know that floppy disk is formatted as FAT file system.
    But anyone tell me can it be formatted as HPFS file System?If yes how and if no why?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In the case of floppy disks, the use of FAT as the only officially supported format ensures interchangeability with other operating systems.

Correct me if I am wrong. But, by definition, HPFS does not support removable media.

Floppy Disks somehow do not go with 'High Performance', isn't it?
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    AbraKadabra
    Floppy Disks somehow do not go with 'High Performance', isn't it?
    can you please explain here what is the meaning of 'High Performance' so that i exactly came to know what is the actual reason.I am not getting it clearly!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This idea struck my mind just now. Let's have an Engineering Purity Test on CE. What this test would contain is a set of say 20/30 questions that decides if...
I found this Webcomic on the TechRepublic Website. Sharing it with you all. 😁 😁 😁
I'm trying to compile a list of channels available in HD and 3D in India. Lot of DTH operators claim that their receivers are HD capable; however unless the channel...
Satyam Computers, India's leading Software Firm has said that the company will delist from NYSE around mid-October as they are unable to comply with NYSE policies and may not be...
Hello guys I have a java source code (Jpcapdumper) and it has GUI interface but the programmer did not use the java GUI components for developing this program. and wrote...