CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@EDDY • 28 Jul, 2009
Can some explain me the concept of gyroscopic couple and is there any good project on it, plz help me with some examples in general life??????
@Rohan_sK • 29 Jul, 2009 • 1 like Gyroscopic Couple is what a biker experiences while countering a turn either in the left or the right direction and this is what helps the rider to keep the bike upright.

Suppose that a wheel rotates around an axis perpendicular to the page with an angular veolocity ω. Then the angular momentum is given by Iω and its direction will be a vector along the axis.

If the axis of rotatoion undergoes an angular displacement of δθ in time δt resulting in an precession velocity of φ, then the new angular momentum will be Iω in magnitude and the vector will be displaced by δθ wrt Iω.

The vectors representing Iω be called ‘oa’ and that of Iφ be called ‘ob’.

Hence the rate of change of angular momentum is called the Gyroscopic Couple ζ .

Hence the vector ‘ab’ is the change in the angular momentum in the interval δt,

Thus,

Gyroscopic couple ζ = ab/ δt

= Iω. Δθ/ δt

ζ = Iω. φ

This is the gyroscopic couple acting will be in the sense of rotation along ab and will be perpendicular to both ω and φ.

Hope this gives you a basic understanding of the gyroscopic couple
@Ankita Katdare • 30 Oct, 2017 That's a really fantastic explanation by @Rohan_sK Do check out this video about Gyroscopic Precession -

@ANBALAGAN PONNUSWAMY • 14 Oct, 2018 • 1 like

Very simple and easy understanding answer, thanks a lot.

9.3k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · May 18, 2014

Jaguar, the British multinational car manufacturer, has now taken the wraps off its upcoming sports sedan - Jaguar XE. We were excited in March to know about the car's basic...
1.9k views

@Ankita Katdare · Feb 15, 2015

Samsung fans in India have a new smartphone to munch on as the brand new Galaxy A7 has been officially released in the country with hopes to capture the attention...
3.4k views

@abinalex · Feb 27, 2010

Hi everyone,I am a final year student of P.A.Aziz College of Engineering ,Trivandrum-Kerala. I m looking for sponsors for our college fest.Its a National level inter college fest!!(both tech& cultural).It's...
3.6k views

@ISHAN TOPRE · Apr 18, 2011

Hello friends, Nowadays I see many people playing games on internet. that to on Face book and doing total time pass. So why don't we have some engineering games here...
1.8k views

@Ankita Katdare · May 28, 2013

Samsung India has added a new gadget to its range of Galaxy smartphones with Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3. Those of you who would think bigger is better and aren't satisfied...
1.7k views