What is 'Effective Mass of an Electron'

While studying Gunn Diode in Microwave Technology, I came across the term 'effective mass of an electron' and not able to recall what it is.

Can anyone kindly explain what it means? 😕

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Effective mass of an electron is the particle's mass when moving inside a solid such as crystal. It normally involves a magnetic field.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    You must find the difference between the mass what you calculated and what is mentioned.
    So the difference between real mass and apparent mass is termed as effective mass.
    Correct me if i m wrong anywhere !!
  • gaurav200x
    gaurav200x
    gohm
    Effective mass of an electron is the particle's mass when moving inside a solid such as crystal. It normally involves a magnetic field.
    Thanks but can you explain in detail or give a link with a clear and detailed explanation. 😀
  • gaurav200x
    gaurav200x
    mohit007kumar00
    You must find the difference between the mass what you calculated and what is mentioned.
    So the difference between real mass and apparent mass is termed as effective mass.
    Correct me if i m wrong anywhere !!
    What is apparent mass?
  • skipper
    skipper
    Mass is conserved. An electron has, like all massive particles, a rest mass.

But electrons can only truly be at rest at absolute zero, and because of the uncertainty principle no particle can have zero energy (if it did, its energy would be known and QM says this is not possible). The mass of electrons depends on their energy, so if their velocity changes because they accelerate or decelerate when propagating through a medium, so does their effective mass.

Electrons are accelerated by electric fields so there's a direct correspondence between voltage and electron mass-energy, or between voltage and the classical resistance of a medium.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have mentained one folder in my PST named " Happy mails" .Whenever I am nervous, silent,tensed,bored or hurt by anything,I used open this folder which contains really good mails...
what are the suggestion to improve the effectiveness of the blind stick? i want to add infrared distance sensor,,,another suggestion?
what sensor can detect stair and pits?i want to put it at a blind stick for my final year project,,,
i am making a project in which i want to drive 100 odd leds using LPC2148...but since it has less GPIO how do i go about it... i have heard...
help in architecture--- drawing full stage logic diagram for 16 microoperations and 2 variables using MUX 4x1 ? please reply asap.