What is .dll file ?

I want to know what is .dll file in windows?

Why there aren't any .dll file in linux ?

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    hey a dll file is nothing but a class library

It is collection of classes that are explicitly so that their functionality can be accessed anywhere in a project if you want such as a dotnet project
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    DLL- Dynamic Link Libraries is collection of small programs/functions which are used or called by other 'exe' programs for running.
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
  • pradeep_agrawal
    pradeep_agrawal
    DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. These are the libraries (collection of subroutines or classes) which can be dynamically loaded by other programs.

The DLL is based on shared library concept but is specific for Microsoft Window's machine. Linux also have concept of shared libraries and in Linux the shared libraries have extension as .so.

Refer below link for a short tutorial on creating and using shared libraries on Linux machine.

#-Link-Snipped-#

-Pradeep
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Here is my Question
    is .dll is a system file?
    2 ..if a certain .dll file is deleted then it will effect running of ceratin program or not?
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    It stands for Dynamic Link Library, a library of executable functions or data that can be used by a Windows application.
    Typically, a DLL provides one or more particular functions and a program accesses the functions by creating either a static or dynamic link to the DLL.😀
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey can u tell me can deletion of .dll file
    will effect normal execution of program?
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    dll - file is nothing but a dynamic library link files. whenever your application software wants to start . it will supports all the hardware configuration, and all the related libraries are mentioned this is in the case of Windows OS but in the case of linux os everything can be controlled by Kernal programs
  • Manish Sehgal
    Manish Sehgal
    It is dynamic link library.
  • rgwebworld
    rgwebworld
    In a nut shell, a dynamic link library (DLL) is a collection of small programs, which can be called upon when needed by the executable program (EXE) that is running. The DLL lets the executable communicate with a specific device such as a printer or may contain source code to do particular functions.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • srf_world
    srf_world
    DLL stands for Dynamic linking,
    DLL uses system process to run, so DLL is "in-process", Its Much faster

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I see lots of our visitors come from Coimbatore, India. How about organizing a meet in Coimbatore? Interested CEans please decide the venue, schedule & agenda in this thread!
As the question asked, what is absolute stress? something about strength/mechanics of material im guessing. Below is a part of a question that i am supposed to answer.
Hey guys. I am Electrical engg. 2009 pass out. M placed in Infosys but the joining is late in feb... i has currently taken the CET test for admission in...
This thread is for people looking for online learning resources, to supplement their course books. I will only be posting links of websites that let you browse through their entire...
Hi, I'm thinking that u all are from India. I'd like to know that there are people from other countries 😀. BTW I'm from Malaysia.