what is difference between firewall and anti - virus

Well I started this thread after reading Ash's thread regarding the firewall suggestion.

So as far as my knowledge is concerned "Anti virus will kill virus "

Firewall is something which allows authorised access and blocks unauthorised access.

I have some basic questions.

Explain the benefits please!!! I know I can read in internet but having them here will help ๐Ÿ˜€

I dont know what firewall is used in our office ๐Ÿ˜” .

What firewall generally office use??

IS there any built in firewall comes with windows?

If I access something I get blocked by Websense?/

What is Websense is it a firewall :shock:??

clarify please !!!

Replies

• shashank734
    shashank734
    nice man that's good quastion according to my knoledge .

the Anti-Virus is uses for scan your local computer for the viruses and kill them or any external media which you connect through your pc.

but firewall is use in terms of netwoking think that you are in network .

in your office several computers are connected in a network and sombody want to access your computer through network without your permission firewall blocks it you can turn on or turn off the firewall..

But still their are many tools which can bypass throgh firewall and access the other's computer.

their are mainly tw types of firewall hardware and software hardware firewalls are more secure then software firewalls.
    windows has included firewall windowes firewll which you can find in start-control panel-security-firewall
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, Anti Virus & Firewall are entirely different concepts. They are meant for your computer's security.

Anti Virus as you know - is a software that protects your computer from harmful software programs (viruses). An anti virus will detect, remove & prevent a virus or virus-like activity on your computer. Modern anti-virus software will also prevent your mails from viruses.

A firewall is something that is meant to protect your computer from the attacks through a network - Internet/Lan/Wireless etc. A firewall is a software that sits between the network connection & your computer and keeps on governing your internet connection.

[โ€‹IMG]
    Image Source: Wikipedia

A firewall may not detect viruses and already present malicious programs on the computer its protecting [correct me if I'm wrong, folks].

Do post if you have more questions.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks guys for posting ๐Ÿ˜€

So firewall is the one which protects our systems from unauthorised access.

How can we know what firewall our system is using?

A silly question, there are threats like malware etc and security threats there is no much difference but for security applications we need to have more security.

So how does the firewall work in preventing this?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have got answer for one of the question..

What is websense?

It enables clients (businesses and governments) to block access to chosen categories of website.

Check this link for more info.

Websense
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    websense is a company that has created web filtering software called the same name- Websense. Web filtering software is designed to limit an end users access to specific sites on the Internet. Websense was started in 1994 by Phil Trubey and is one of the most popularly used web filtering software packages available. This type of software can be used by many different types of organizations and for many different purposes.
    What Web Site Categories Can Be Blocked with Websense Filtering Software

There are more than 3 dozen categories that can be blocked by Websense and it should be noted that an individual user or organization can create their own list of sites that are specifically blocked. However here are ten popular categories that many organizations might block:

* Adult Material
    * Dating and Personals
    * Peer to Peer Networks
    * Freeware and Shareware Download Sites
    * Gambling Sites
    * Hate Sites
    * Proxy Sites
    * Streaming Video Sites
    * Game Sites
    * Sites that Promote Illegal Activity

source - book
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ha ha another victim of WebSense ๐Ÿ˜ . Websense is a software that monitors employee Internet access in large corporations. It can be used to restrict access to websites, IMs, IRC channels etc. A websense administrator can also ban access to downloads.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    governments such as China and Yemen have also used this software to deny citizens access to certain websites.
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    nice information about firewall and antivirus ...keep it up
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    The_Big_K
    Ha ha another victim of WebSense ๐Ÿ˜ . Websense is a software that monitors employee Internet access in large corporations. It can be used to restrict access to websites, IMs, IRC channels etc. A websense administrator can also ban access to downloads.
    How websense is configured in systems,Is just like settings in the options or webinstalled software that redirect us to blocked page.?please explain. In my office almost all the sites blocked by websense Except CE ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    cooldudeiet
    How websense is configured in systems,Is just like settings in the options or webinstalled software that redirect us to blocked page.?please explain. In my office almost all the sites blocked by websense Except CE ๐Ÿ˜€
    Websense basically spots the keywords and checks them with blocked keywords in the primary domain and site content. There are rules that admins set to allow or block sites. That is, if the admins block the keyword 'songs' then you won't be able to browse sites that let you listen to songs or contain words like song, songs in the domain.

CE of course is technical in nature and there's no reason for admins to block it.

I'm not aware of Websense configuration. Yes, it is a network monitoring software with functions similar to that of a firewall.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Websense is nonsense software and uses dirty strategies to stay in competition. As a student we all use to hate websense just because it always used bad strategies mostly illegitimate to give competition, no doubt it works fine and no doubt i can penetrate it. But can you please tell what actually you are discussing firewall, anti-virus or web monitoring tool.
  • nvrajasekhar
    nvrajasekhar
    Oh....Many replies, i m also willing to say some thing that what i know.

Fire wall simply checks the authontication (while entering and leaving system). May be hardware or software. COMODO
    Antivirus simply checks the authorization ( can estimate the program behavior,i.e malicious or not ). it is software(may also be h/w). KASPERSKY

that is in simple.
  • NDL
    NDL
    Yes Firewall is for your internet security and anti virus is for your computer security form viruses.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Nice piece of information. Some firewall and anti-virus works together to keep threat activities away from your PCs.
  • Hira101
    Hira101
    there are the main two reason which has discuss the above member the difference between these days firewall and anti virus.
    i like your post so much with the lot of information and i hope you will continue to ask same type of question which causes increament in our knowledge.
    www.cricketlive.pk
  • martincrow
    martincrow
    The differences between a firewall and antivirus is now pretty clear in my mind,i always wanted to know that these terms are same or not,but now i knew it. Thanks for that, normally i use Antivirus for my system and doesn't think of firewall.
  • coolboy.napster
    coolboy.napster
    How to stop websense without having administrative priviliges? ?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    It is not possible to stop websense without adimin privileged. You can just bypass it (there are some methods), but remember it is not allowed and may be illegal at your place. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please anyone provide me a working ir sensor circuit which can be used in line follower. i have tried about 5-6 circuits on breadboard i found on internet but nothing...
๐Ÿ˜I want to run internet on my PC through Mobile. I want to know that whether I should connect my mobile with Data cable or Bluetooth to gain High speed....
Here is a story of a man who was not comfortable with the EULA (End User License Agreement) that Microsoft wanted him to accept before he could start using Windows....
please suggest some good projects that can be taken under this field of study.. there are some general like optimisation of handoff strategies etc. please suggest more!!!
SO, here we are graduation time and we need to get our FYP complete just in time.. well, here's my idea i'd like to use fingerprint technology to give access...