What is cloud computing?

I can't believe STILL don't have a single thread on cloud computing! ๐Ÿ˜’ Everyone is talking about it! Where else would we get the best technical minds to talk about cloud computing than this place?

So, post all that you have to say about Cloud Computing in this thread! [โ€‹IMG]

Replies

• prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    Cloud computing-the term refers to buying or purchasing of computing capacity from a third party provider who owns a Data Center( with server and services )to get your job done using his computer resources.That's what I think what's cloud computing is.If i am wrong, please correct me.
  • koli
    koli
    Lot more info here Cloud Computing

Typical example is google which usases cloud computing.

In short bunch of servers, rented or owned, distributed in multiple datacenter, and virtualized to form virtual servers serving single application.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hey, isnt this like grid computing?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Hey, isnt this like grid computing?
    Yeah, that's what I want to know. I heard someone saying 'Cloud Computing' is the latest thing. But looks like Google's been doing it for quite some time.

So what's the difference between grid computing and cloud computing?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Wiki:

Cloud computing refers to computing resources being accessed which are typically owned and operated by a third-party provider on a consolidated basis in Data Center locations. Consumers of cloud computing services purchase computing capacity on-demand and are not concerned with the underlying technologies used to achieve the increase in server capability.
    The applications of cloud/utility computing models are expanding rapidly as connectivity costs fall, and as computing hardware becomes more efficient at operating at scale. The economic incentives to share hardware among multiple users are increasing; the drawbacks in performance and interactive response that used to discourage remote and distributed computing solutions are being greatly reduced.
    Grid computing is a term for either of two broad subcategories of Distributed Computing:
    • Online computation or storage offered as a service supported by a pool of distributed computing resources, also known as Utility Computing, On Demand computing, or Cloud Computing. Data Grid provide controlled sharing and management of large amounts of distributed data, often used in combination with computational grids.
    A server farm or server cluster is a collection of Computer Server usually maintained by an Business to accomplish server needs far beyond the capability of one machine. Often, server farms will have both a primary and a backup server allocated to a single task, so that in the event of the failure of the primary server, a backup server will take over the primary server's function.
    Server farms are typically co-located with the Network Switch and/or Router which enable communication between the different parts of the cluster and the users of the cluster.
    Server farms are commonly used for Cluster Computing. Many modern Supercomputer comprise giant server farms of high-speed Processors connected by either Gigabit Ethernet or custom interconnects such as Infiniband or Myrinet.
    So there it is. Grid computing can have both of these. And yea, grid computing formation and study has a LOT of mathematics and theories involved, complicated stuff!
  • moksh
    moksh
    umm it was an interesting topic here's few notes i picked up

Cloud computing comes into focus only when you think about what IT always needs: a way to increase capacity or add capabilities on the fly without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software. Cloud computing encompasses any subscription-based or pay-per-use service that, in real time over the Internet, extends IT's existing capabilities.

1. SaaS
    This type of cloud computing delivers a single application through the browser to thousands of customers using a multitenant architecture.

2. Utility computing
    The idea is not new, but this form of cloud computing is getting new life from Amazon.com, Sun, IBM, and others who now offer storage and virtual servers that IT can access on demand. Early enterprise adopters mainly use utility computing for supplemental, non-mission-critical needs, but one day, they may replace parts of the datacenter.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Can someone clarify what cloud computing is/does?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Wow, I learned a lot from this thread! thanks
  • Itanium
    Itanium
    Very informative !
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    I am very glad to know about cloud computing and this threa gives lot more information suffficient 2 me .thanks for providing

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys.. i m in a bit of a dilemma... so please help me out...please reply only if u r totally convinced with what u r saying... and this is...
Is there anyone on CE who can create a CrazyEngineers desktop wallpaper? Use your ideas & create a cool wallpapers for all CEans ๐Ÿ˜ Send your creations to admin (at)...
hey frnds... i am develpoing a program using PHP/MySQL. Here, i have a form which consists of a few text fields etc etc. It also contains a drop down menu....
Wishing a very happy & prosperous birthday to ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ DEP BRIJRAJ niks_agnelite sOuMyAjIt ambuja 28 ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Party on, fellas! ๐ŸŽ‰ โ€‹
Just got inside this place..๐Ÿ˜ I should have been in here years back ๐Ÿ˜•, nyway better late than never...:razz: Well Let me just walk around and see what you all...