What is Cavitation

what is Cavitation, what is it's cause and how can we overcome this???

Replies

• sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    Cavitation is the formation and then immediate implosion of bubbles in a liquid. They are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid.

It usually occurs when the local static pressure in a fluid reach a level below the vapour pressure of th liquid at the actual temperature.

Cavitation can be avoided by increasing the distance between the actual local static pressure in the fluid and the vapour pressure of the fluid at the actual temperature.
    This can be achieved by:
    1. Increasing the total or local static pressure in the system.
    2. Reducing the temperature of the liquid.
  • The myth buster
    The myth buster
    well cavitation is one of the major problems that affect the performance and functioning of pumps..
    whenever at any point in the flow stream,vapour pressure is equal to the saturation pressure at the given temperature of the fluid,Vapur bubbles are formed...these bubbles travel along with the stream to high pressure areas where pressure is of the order of 1000 bar..and the vapour in these bubbles condenses which causes the bubbles to collapse..this produces agitation and stirring effects in the vicinity of the bubble..the liquid thus hammers continuously againt the walls and ultimately leads to material errosion or pitting..this whole process is known as cavitation..
    cavitation can be avoided by
    1)running the pump at the designed speed.
    2)Having high NPSH value for the pump.
    3)avoiding pipe bends and sudden change in the crossection of flow.
    4)Keeping the temperature of the fluid under limits.

i hope that the description will surely answer your question..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have to download pdf file and pdffilename comes from url as parameter and my pdf is placed in d:/var/1/abc.pdf my issue is if at run time i put /var/xyz.pdf...
Hi friends I am doing my seminar on Hybrid solar desiccant cooling system. Please provide me information on this topic. And is this Hybrid solar desiccant cooling system is usefull...
How to determine the current direction in branches. I confused when the circuit become a little complex. Hence, i canot solve the problem. In the attached files are examples, Hope...
I want to override the default membership provider. So that i can set requireQuestionandAnswer = "false" enabling user to reset password without security question answer
where does the deleted data go in cellphones or computers?