What is Arduino ?

After reading #-Link-Snipped-#
I googled a lot of really what arduino is. Only thing I understood is arduino is not capable of doing things that needs access to complex peripherals and/or lots of memory to access.
Arduino can sense the environment by receiving input from variety of sensors & affects its surrounding by controlling lights & other actuators.

Do explain me in simple terms : what really Arduino is ?
How is it fixed to computers ?
Give me some example that Arduino can do.
and What is Arduino shield ?

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Arduino is just a simple bootloader or better say an firmware for Atmel Atmega series microcontrollers. Arduino simplifies the programming process & includes a lots of pre built libraries which are useful in interfacing peripherals for common applications like motors, LCD, Serial transfer etc.

The Arduino are generally sold with a development board containing a microntroller flashed with Arduino boot loader & few peripherals like LCD, temperature sensor & similar things.

An Arduino shield is just another board that can be interfaced with the existing board to extend its capability. For eg. Your Arduino development board doesn't contain an RS232 port so you're unable to do serial communication. Now, there will be a separate board made with RS232 port & required additional circuitry to do serial communication. This board can be just plugged into the existing board allowing your microcontroller to do serial communication. This is nothing but a Arduino Shield implementing RS232.

Hope it made sense?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thread Moved to Electrical and Electronics Section. 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks man 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's an all glass house - I'm wondering whether these structures are really stable. Anyone?
Apparently IT industry hires about a third of engineering graduates annually. Nasscom projections paint a dismal picture for 2013 with intake to fall to 100,000 hired. It is scary to...
I'm reading the C programming book, but I just want to know these things: 1. Linux is an operating system or it is just a "Kernel" ... 2. How "Kernel"...
Hi everyone: My name is Humberto Mendoza and I'm from Nicaragua. I'm a civil engineering student finishing my thesis (Earthquake-Resistant Connections in Precast Concrete Frames) for the degree of Civil...
We've covered quite a bit of Honda on VoiCE. The auto giant is known for their contribution to robotics. The company has just forayed into the automatic lawnmower markets with...