What is Ajax ??

hi CEans i often see some advertisement of AJAX on some websites can any CEan can explain?๐Ÿ˜•

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You might want to look at this - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    safwan
    hi CEans i often see some advertisement of AJAX on some websites can any CEan can explain?๐Ÿ˜•
    I couldn't get what kind of advertisements you get? Anyways if you want to know more about AJAX, check this #-Link-Snipped-#May be of some help for you though I would prefer to go for #-Link-Snipped-# .

Now what exactly is AJAX -
    "Consider a page you have created with 2-3 textfields and a "Submit" button and below all that there is a table[Note- same page] which should automatically show the records added through textfields.

Without Using Ajax: Now if you don't use Ajax what happens - You enter values in those textfields and click on "Submit" button. All entered data goes to the server[your DB] and gets saved. Now to display the data in the table you have to again reload the page to get the Data.

Using Ajax:
    But if you use Ajax what happens - as soon as you click on "Show"[ Note: not for submitting values ,it is only for showing data into table on same page] button , you can simultaneously see the entered data in the table without allowing your page to get refreshed."
    PS: Feel free to ask questions. Will try best to answer.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Whether DWR is called as reverse ajax?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ms_cs
    Whether DWR is called as reverse ajax?
    Not called as Reverse Ajax but from DWR2.0 onwards Reverse Ajax concept was introduced.
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    AJAX is really cool. but its complex to program especially for those who do have lesser hands on experiences with JavaScript.
    Many AJAX Frameworks are there in the market. like
    DOJO
    YUI - Yahoo user Interface Libraries
    DWR - Direct Web Remoting -- u ppl say it Reverse Ajax... Right. Its like broadcasting, instead of client asking for data, server publishes and pushes data to clients subscribing for that.
    Subscribing means those who have opened up that page in IE/Firefox.
    Script.aculo.us -- javascript Ajax framework --- (Although all of the above frameworks are based on javascript, but this one mandates the users javascript knowledge. because for using this you will have to code in javascript.)

3 months back i laid my hands on a javascript framework called GWT
    --- Google Web Toolkit and GWT-ext /GWT Extension

Many cool features and really an enterprise look.
    I tried coding it, because of requierments in our project.

Our project required handling heavy amount of data with ease. Lots of CRUD operations...
    Create/Read/Update/Delete (I remember the rule.... no SMS language)

for instance reading data from a table with 100000 of rows, accessed by almost 200-250 ppl at a time.. with pagination, filtering, sorting and (you can think of adding more of functionality to impress client)

So here comes in play AJAX, i was aware of GWT, but didnt know how complex it would be to code the application in GWT, and how it will integerate with existing architecture demanding persistence frameworks like hibernate and Spring Framework.

it took me 36 Hrs to learn about that stuff, I coded the UI, connected it to database and fetched the data with all above mentioned features.

So If i summarise, its a good framework, with no need of expertise in javascript. Coding is pure Java based. and easy integeration with other frameworks.

letme share some of the snapshots ---- -

1. Data Grid with pagination and column customizations
    [โ€‹IMG]
    2. Drop down Menus and advanced controls.
    [โ€‹IMG][โ€‹IMG]
    3. Status Bars.

[โ€‹IMG]

4. Styled ComboBox
    [โ€‹IMG]
    5. We can also implement portal on GWT framewok

[โ€‹IMG]
    6. how about having pagination control on a combo box...
    (instead of having a long list of 50 companies.)

[โ€‹IMG]

7. We can also perform live search

[โ€‹IMG]

8. Grouping data by a specific Field also eases Navigation.....
    [โ€‹IMG]

9. Forget about javascript validation, While coding just set a validation flag and validation type -- email, mobile number, etc etc..
    [โ€‹IMG]
    (I like these calendar controls, most easiest one to navigate... i have ever seen...๐Ÿ˜)

10. how about editing the data in Display Grid Only.... see yourself...

[โ€‹IMG]

So this is how AJAX is capturing the attention of the users, and developers.

implementing this kind of functionality using CSS, JavaScript and any other form could eat up a lot of time, but using GWT, if you know AWT/Swing programming, believe me once you learn how to program that, making a complex application is merely a two days job.

I call for the young engineers who are pursuing their degrees, and going to make projects this years to look upon this technology,

enjoyyyyy

link to Demo :- GWT-Ext Showcase
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    I had to strip down all the smilies because of restriction to include only 12 images....
    ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You might also try commenting on any of CE front page articles here -> CrazyEngineers

It's all AJAX powered ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Cool Info. Manu but still I can't say anything until try my hands on GWT once. Anyways those who are very much comfortable with 4GL can also find ADF to be useful. ADF also don't require any Javascripts nor even Java.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Nice information manusaluja. So it can automatically generates the javascripts. We need not to worried about that. Am I right?
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    ms_cs
    Nice information manusaluja. So it can automatically generates the javascripts. We need not to worried about that. Am I right?
    Correct Man, GWT provides java to javascript compiler, which converts our java code to javascript. It creates various javascripts as per browsers (each for IE, firefox, safari, and other popular browsers) and as per the request from browser the corresponding js file gets downloaded to the client machine. This makes the js code lighter and faster to run.๐Ÿ˜

Any query regarding GWT. Most welcome....๐Ÿ˜’
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    manusaluja
    Correct Man, GWT provides java to javascript compiler, which converts our java code to javascript. It creates various javascripts as per browsers (each for IE, firefox, safari, and other popular browsers) and as per the request from browser the corresponding js file gets downloaded to the client machine. This makes the js code lighter and faster to run.๐Ÿ˜

Any query regarding GWT. Most welcome....๐Ÿ˜’
    I have tested the sample application generated by webAppCreator.bat
    using eclipse with out that plugin.

I have the application created with the servlets and jsps. I want to create 1 or 2 pages with ajax, Shall I create it with GWT and incorporate it with my app? Is it possible?
  • safwan
    safwan
    shalini_goel14
    I couldn't get what kind of advertisements you get?
    its about advertisements of AJAX on some free dowload websites they say try AJAX and some stuffs so i just asked it . ๐Ÿ˜›
    @manusaluja very nice information thanks for sharing .๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž
    @biggie a clear cut defination for students of higher secondary school (your link)
    ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    ms_cs
    I have tested the sample application generated by webAppCreator.bat
    using eclipse with out that plugin.

I have the application created with the servlets and jsps. I want to create 1 or 2 pages with ajax, Shall I create it with GWT and incorporate it with my app? Is it possible?
    No buddy. GWT application is like a swing application, it do have single entry point, within which you can show/hide various gadgets. and perform various operation. If you see @ demo of GWT-ext, i have shared that link in my previous post, you will notice that whole of the application runs on a single page giving us the feel that we are working at desktop not on IE. So for creating GWT app, you just collect all of the functionalities, and make a single app and include in the desired jsp/html page. for example if you are working on student management system, you can choose any navigation tree or navigation bar, and on subsequent click events you can show hide your functionality screens. but it will all remain on same page.

I understand that coding such functionalities could be cumbersome, but yeah you can use your OOPS fundas and apply them to create a neat code.

@Biggie - GWT awareness could be spread among the CE'ians. its really going to rock the IT sector in future. Other things that are conquering the market now a days are MS Silverlight, Adobe Flex. Anybody on CE can share their experience if any regarding the AJAX and related framewoks. I am really AJAX savvy, and would like to learn more and more about that.
    Its one of the agenda along with Customer usability that i am going to research upon in next six months.

We could also try CE messenger also integerating with any of ajax framework. ๐Ÿ˜

@ms_cs - cool, you are trying hands on it. For non java programmers and php programmers or who do have javascript good hand, they can also go with ext-js. try searching it on google..
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Ajax is a way of developing Web applications that combines:

• XHTML and CSS standards based presentation
    • Interaction with the page through the DOM
    • Data interchange with XML and XSLT
    • Asynchronous data retrieval with XMLHttpRequest
    • JavaScript to tie it all together
    In the traditional Web application, the interaction between the customer and the server goes like this:

1. Customer accesses Web application
    2. Server processes request and sends data to the browser while the customer waits
    3. Customer clicks on a link or interacts with the application
    4. Server processes request and sends data back to the browser while the customer waits
    5. etc....
    There is a lot of customer waiting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm reviewing some stuff about P=NP problems and I'd like to discuss this subject, the halting problem and Cook's theorem. Also the Church-Turing hypothesis and the dissipation problem (a bit...
Hi All, As promised, CrazyBoy is back with Can You Design; series again. This thread is the part II of the "Can you Design" series. All of us extensively use...
Hi guys , This is a thread where you should post what you people have learnt after joining CE. Everyone mostly join for search of something they need and if...
hi. i'm lohit suri .i'm havin 73% agg. till 2nd yr. b .tech frm rtu.can u tell me the procedure for summer training in iits
I wanted to do the project on the networking basis. Will you please help in selecting the project for B.E. final year in the computer science. ๐Ÿ˜•