What if???

What if I want to build a house near a river???
What things I must consider about the foundation, the design,materials and others ???

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    the concrete must be water resistant as the steel cannot be allowed to get exposed to it.
    the soil on the banks may get eroded so it may be necessary to build a diaphragm wall.
    i think going for shallow foundations might be a bit of the problem. so we may need deeper foundations.
    the soil tests must be studied to understand the nature of soil. if its a hard strata then we can go for shallow foundations. but if it is expansive of silty the only option would be to go for deep foundations.
    and there must be some local bye-laws which provide strict rules regarding the distance of the housing units from the river. it must also be followed.

these are some points that struck my mind immediatly. these may be right or wrong. ๐Ÿ˜€ guys tell me your points and tell me if mine are right ๐Ÿ˜‰

-CP
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What if i want to build a house near a mountain or beside a mountain?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think you will have to take help of traditional materials and design like sloping roof. The rest materials,I think can be same.

The windows can be made a little slanting to prevent chilly breeze to enter directly! Well this factor should be considered by taking into account the directions of flow of wind, on the site.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    we should see the architectural aspects too. in the mountains slopes the building should not be oriented widthwise along the slope. it will lead to more chillness. there will be need for cutting of slopes or filling the slopes in order to create space for the houses.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    How about the foundation of the house especially if the soil is soft???
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    maria flor
    How about the foundation of the house especially if the soil is soft???
    Why don't you change the location of your building then? Else you can find out the reason as to why the soil is soft?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    no if the soil is soft we have to go for anchor piles or sheet piles. it would give the necessary strength. since we are not going to go for high rise in mountains these would be sufficient.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    ishutopre
    Why don't you change the location of your building then? Else you can find out the reason as to why the soil is soft?
    What if my client owns a lot near the mountain, and he really wants to build a resort there and I have no choice??? For example here in an island near us, there are several buildings build resorts on mountains.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah it is not an option to change locations. ๐Ÿ˜‰ i think the key is to make the place sturdy to hold the soil firm. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think the key is to make the place sturdy to hold the soil firm. ๐Ÿ˜€
    How could we make the place sturdy???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    no if the soil is soft we have to go for anchor piles or sheet piles. it would give the necessary strength. since we are not going to go for high rise in mountains these would be sufficient.
    this way maria ๐Ÿ˜€

piles are generally provided to make the soil firm and allow the structure to transmit the load to the harder strata beneath. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What is a pile??? are there different types of piles???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    check out the foundations thread ๐Ÿ˜€
    i'll update the types of piles there.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What if I want to build a house near beach???
    What things I need to consider???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    a little similar to the one near river. ๐Ÿ˜€

1. the bye-laws. (distance from sea)
    2. the water seeping in will be saline. so it has to be checked or it will corrode the steel and also cause rising of dampness.
    3. here shallow foundations can be used only in less cases because the beach sand will lack the required shear.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    the orientation of house should also not be along the wind direction. it must be inclined at 30 degree to the direction of the wind for effective ventilation. if we go into the planning of the house the kitchen and dining must face the east and the bedrooms should face west.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    How about the materials???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    the steel must be corrosion resistant and the concrete must be water resistant.

concrete can be made water resistant especially for these circumstances by using nano particles. it prevents the ingress of water.

also the gates and windows cannot be made of steel or it will have lesser life due to corrosion. it must be treated before using or coated with corrosion resistant paints. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    what if i have to build a house in place filled with snow most of the year? ๐Ÿ˜‰ what will be the design considerations ?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    I think the house should have a stiff roof and a more thicker wall...๐Ÿ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah as you say maybe we should have insulated walls. also the roof must be designed to take the load due to settling snow as well.

again the concrete will be affected due to the freeze and thaw cycles. so the concrete must be designed to resist that. there must also be proper drainage to dispose the water obtained from the freezing of snow. this can be done by sloping the ground away from the house.

what else? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    The footing must be below the frost line. There are certain codes in different area/place for what is acceptable or the footings for the foundation to be laid properly so they are protected from the weather. It must have a fireplace or wood burning stove to heat your house.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What if I want to build a house in place where there is always a typhoon??? What things I should consider???
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    maria flor
    What if I want to build a house in place where there is always a typhoon??? What things I should consider???
    Still no one answer this???๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I do not know much. For building resistant housing for Typhoons, there is a projected initiated in Philippines. It is named Core shelter.

The housing should tie roof to ground with cement footings. This will have durability. The design should be supported by Trusses.

Am I right?

By the way is this thread a part of Civil engineering group study? ๐Ÿ˜’
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    By the way also see this. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    ishutopre
    By the way is this thread a part of Civil engineering group study? ๐Ÿ˜’
    I think no....
    Here are the threads for civil group study: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    What if I want to build a house in a desert??? What are things I should be consider???
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    the house should be oriented lengthwise along the direction of wind. but never should the orientation of building lengthwise be perpendicular to the wind direction.
    we have to see the soil condition. if it is loose soil then there is need for piles. the roof should be insulating. also we can have hollow walls. it would provide some insulation.

what else?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    We all know that Japan is place where there is always an earthquake and sometimes a Tsunami.
    What if I want to build a house/building there???what things I should consider?? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    maria flor
    We all know that Japan is place where there is always an earthquake and sometimes a Tsunami.
    What if I want to build a house/building there???what things I should consider?? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    An oak falls down in a cyclone while a reed bends down and goes back to business afterwards. What if it is a light bamboo mat construction on a floor on loose spheres?

Bioramani
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    and (I am adding a thing with Bioramani) a Large gas balloon tied to ground .

If you know there's Tsunami coming cut the thread so that you can fly in air along with the balloon..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys....can u pleez tell me best answer for this interview ques dat "which ws ur fav sub in electrical engg nd ezplain one topic frm dis" i hav dne btech...
history: buildings were once constructed on cellars. there was no such thing as piles or raft foundations then. but these cellars were not intended to be living spaces. they were...
Hi, I have got this assignment from one of my friend who studies in kingston university. This relates with the subject of automatic control. That friend has given me this...
i had recently been to the IITM tech fest called CEA Fest'11. there were many events but the thing i thought worth covering for CE was their project on display....
If we don't use electronic fuel injection system what can we use alternately, if not efficiently? (Please name that system, give a small but relevant description and if possible start...