What happens to mobile phones with non-replaceable battery ?

I want to know, if the battery of some non-replaceable type phone has a defect (considering out of warranty product), then what happens to the phone?

Does it really becomes a throw away brick?

or there is any other technical way around.

As far as I've read, the non-replaceable battery, saves cost of circuitry by removing the extra layer needed for motherboard and battery.

Thus the width of the phone also reduces.

Curious to know if it really becomes a brick if there's something wrong with the battery.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    No way! With a proper screw driver, the phone can be easily dis-assembled. Then the so called non-replaceable battery is at your disposal.And then, it is as simple as removing a 'replaceable' battery. Replace and fix things back. And, Bingo! you are good to press the power button again!
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lal
    No way! With a proper screw driver, the phone can be easily dis-assembled. Then the so called non-replaceable battery is at your disposal.And then, it is as simple as removing a 'replaceable' battery. Replace and fix things back. And, Bingo! you are good to press the power button again!
    Are batteries available for the non-replaceable "battery" phones?

Then what's the use of so called non-replaceable "battery" phones, I know they reduce circuitry cost, but then they can be replaced too.
  • lal
    lal
    Why would anyone design a 20K or more worth phone to dispose off when the battery dies?

Actually it is not just 'non-replaceable' battery. But, it is actually said 'not user replaceable' battery.

It isn't like the battery is built in to the phone internals. Rather, it still is a seperate module. Either souldered or plugged in. We can replace it easily once the phone is dismantled. And yes, those batteries are available locally and online.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lal
    Why would anyone design a 20K or more worth phone to dispose off when the battery dies?

Actually it is not just 'non-replaceable' battery. But, it is actually said 'not user replaceable' battery.

It isn't like the battery is built in to the phone internals. Rather, it still is a seperate module. Either souldered or plugged in. We can replace it easily once the phone is dismantled. And yes, those batteries are available locally and online.
    Ok, thanks for clearing up 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lal
    Interesting observation. I think the major problem is to have a replacement battery. I've never asked the service center folks whether they have the spare batteries for the phones that don't have user replaceable batteries. I think most of the modern batteries last a few 1-1.5 thousand recharge cycles which means a lifespan of about ~3-5 years.

And it makes sense for the handset makers. In ~3 years, the technology will advance so much that your phone will look Jurassic.

I'd love to know whether anyone here got a replacement for the non-removable battery in their phone.
  • lal
    lal
    *offtopic*
    If some one is to carry a replacement battery all around, I'd say it is far better to carry a portable charger instead. It would allow the phone/gadget to be recharged multiple times when compared to swaping with another replaceable battery.
    */offtopic*
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with all the points #-Link-Snipped-# has shared here.

Here are my 2 cents though -
    In some phones with a non-replaceable battery, it also means lack of micro SD card slot too (HTC One doesn̢۪t have a microSD card slot).

There are other obvious disadvantages as well -

1. Users have to depend on the manufacturer to replace the battery if the performance is lowered in certain case. (the good old screw-driver way looks find too, but most won't opt for it I guess.)

2. If an user's phone freezes, with a removable battery he/she can just take the battery out and put it back. The pretty hard-reset has worked for so many people for ages!
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with all the points #-Link-Snipped-# has shared here.

Here are my 2 cents though -
    In some phones with a non-replaceable battery, it also means lack of micro SD card slot too (HTC One doesn̢۪t have a microSD card slot).

There are other obvious disadvantages as well -

1. Users have to depend on the manufacturer to replace the battery if the performance is lowered in certain case. (the good old screw-driver way looks find too, but most won't opt for it I guess.)

2. If an user's phone freezes, with a removable battery he/she can just take the battery out and put it back. The pretty hard-reset has worked for so many people for ages!
    But non-replaceable battery phones provide a reset button too.
  • lal
    lal
    Actually, there are ways to reset the phone even without taking off the battery. For instance, my Nokia N9 can be reset in any event of hang by pressing the power button for 8 seconds. I guess all phones without removable battery have an option to do the same.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just remembered this old discussion while talking a friend about this.
    Any ideas on why do they make smartphone with non-removable batteries? What are the advantages? Has it got only to do with the uni-body slimmer design or there are some other functional benefits?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The makers should announce that the batteries are non 'User-Replaceable'. The battery modules are always separate and if the right tools (and courage) you can always replace them. The only problem is that you won't get an official battery from Samsung; unless it's their own guys doing the replacement.

Apple's iPhone has always had a non replaceable batteries.
  • M. Shadab
    M. Shadab
    Ankita Katdare
    Any ideas on why do they make smartphone with non-removable batteries? What are the advantages? Has it got only to do with the uni-body slimmer design or there are some other functional benefits?
    dey r making non-removable batteries cause it has better performance to removable once. It might look strange bt that is a big factor for whch new smartphones opting for. Notice apple iphones hav non-removable n it is nt d case jst to keep it secured.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    M. Shadab
    dey r making non-removable batteries cause it has better performance to removable once. It might look strange bt that is a big factor for whch new smartphones opting for. Notice apple iphones hav non-removable n it is nt d case jst to keep it secured.
    They say it's non 'user-removable'. That means user can't just buy a new battery, open the phone and replace the battery. However, the battery can definitely be replaced by the customer care executives.
  • M. Shadab
    M. Shadab
    Kaustubh Katdare
    They say it's non 'user-removable'. That means user can't just buy a new battery, open the phone and replace the battery. However, the battery can definitely be replaced by the customer care executives.
    Sure it can b definitely b replaced, bt d point i'm trying to highlight is d reason behind cmpnies gng 4 it.
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Ankita Katdare
    I think there are not many advantages by using the non-user replaceable batteries. Mostly they are used to enhance the looks of the mobile which is one of the important part in choosing a mobile.
    The other advantages will be like this.
    • Mostly if a mobile is non user replaceable battery that means , it will be non removable back cover.Since the battery is inside the mobile completely , it will be unaffected by external effects like dust , water etc. Hence the battery performance will be more comparatively. ( though I don't know how much difference it makes).
    • And in case of over power consumption, in normal cases there is possibility of over sizing of the battery which is voided in non -user replaceable battery cases.
  • tim high
    tim high
    Have a look at how a samsung S6 battery is replaced , just google it and see it in you tube.
    It looks as though samsung does not intend to ever replace its battery, the back cover is glued to the external structure. Samsung usually has one service center per city ( or two perhaps ). So few years down the line when there are many phones requiring battery replacement , expect a long waiting time before you get your S6 back.As replacing battery of S6 is tedious have a look yourself. And after the battery has been replaced it doesn't look as though the integrity of S6 will remain the same as before .
    Its hard to think of Samsung's strategy , are they really expecting us to buy new phones after the battery dies? Please just have a look at this video in you tube which shows how Samsung s6's battery is being replaced. The person in the video also mentions " It looks as though this phone was never meant to be taken apart "
    Its as though we are breaking the device to get to the battery, its not as simple as getting a screw driver,opening the back cover and gaining access to the battery.
    If indeed replacing S6 battery is a big issue then we should make more people aware of that fact so that Samsung is forced to act.Perhaps start an online campaign. Right now people are not thinking long term. Lets say the battery lasts 4-5 years , so based on the current rate in which we have one Galaxy every year we can expect Samsung S10 to be launching by the time S6's battery dies.So most users would want a newer more advanced phone , perhaps then Samsung would launch a scheme , exchange your old Galaxy and get some discount on the new phone. Fearing that replacing the S6 battery disrupts the integrity of the device most users may opt to exchange.What is about to happen ? Only time will tell , after the first battery of S6 has been replaced. Samsung should make an Exynos 7420 phone with a removable battery.
  • lal
    lal
    Off-topic: But it seems Samsung wouldn't last that long, seeing the way its flagship phones fail to impress the crowd and better quality and open phones being introduced by other companies at a far lower price margin.
  • Sreepriya D Shenoy
    Sreepriya D Shenoy
    so reading above discussion i hv planned to bbuy Panasonic Eluga Icon (non-removable battery)😒
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It was alarming to read your post. I guess this discussion has to move from this topic to:
    Removable Battery Vs. User Removable Battery.
    What is the point if the service center takes forever to replace a removable battery?

Anyhoo, here are the obvious advantages of an user removable battery -
    1. If you drop your phone in water, you can open up its parts and let it get dried up.
    2. If your phone suffers from the problem of overheating, the best solution is removal of the battery and letting your phone cool down.
    3. Phones with user removable batteries get sold easily as buyer will trust a phone whose battery he can remove and check more.

• MOHIT MIDHA
    MOHIT MIDHA
    Micromax doodle 4 purchased from GIP mal noida battery is defectivd in 3 months use now they are not replacing saying non removable 3000mah battery is out ofstock nw what to do.Already my phone is with service center at atts noida U.P India.
    Mohit Midha
    Phone 7503808095, 7503808095
    B/3/4 Rail Vihar Indrapuram Ghaziabad U.P India
  • tim high
    tim high
    MOHIT MIDHA
    Micromax doodle 4 purchased from GIP mal noida battery is defectivd in 3 months use now they are not replacing saying non removable 3000mah battery is out ofstock nw what to do.Already my phone is with service center at atts noida U.P India.
    Mohit Midha
    Phone 7503808095, 7503808095
    B/3/4 Rail Vihar Indrapuram Ghaziabad U.P India
    Hi Mohit,
    Sorry to hear about this, I have never bought a Micromax product but I have always been apprehensive about their service. Your Doodle is still in warranty period so of course it should be fixed without any charges. Since you have already deposited your doodle I guess now all you have to do is just be patient and keep following up with them from time to time.I am sure everything will turn out fine. Best wishes.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Has anyone among us ever got a 'non-replaceable' battery replaced? I think most of the modern Li-Ion batteries used in mobile phones and laptops have a huge number of charging cycles. This number is in multiple of 100; which makes the battery last for years.
  • lal
    lal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Has anyone among us ever got a 'non-replaceable' battery replaced? I think most of the modern Li-Ion batteries used in mobile phones and laptops have a huge number of charging cycles. This number is in multiple of 100; which makes the battery last for years.
    And keep stressing your battery less and you'll find it live almost double otherwise.

Tip - Try not to charge Lithium batteries more than 90%, at least for day-to-day use. Fill it full if you're travelling, may be. The last part of charging is kind of suicidal for batteries, you'll save in the long run if you keep it at 90%.
  • Brenda Vaughn
    Brenda Vaughn
    I am dealing with this problem now. I have a Kyocera E6560 DuraForce. It will not take a charge and the reset "trick" has no effect. The phone isn't even 3 yrs old and I am not a heavy user. In my search for a solution I have concluded that I must have over charged it enough times to have burnt the battery up. I have been bad about falling asleep while it is charging. Guess that's not too good for it. I am going tomorrow to see if It can be reset or if I need to replace it. I will update here. Thank everyone for the thoughts and ideas here. This has been the most informative page I've found.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was having doubt on the Flipkart affiliate program and here is one guy who experience it. Read More here:- https://satishgandham.com/2014/06/wh...be-trusted-and-why-i-will-never-use-it-again/ Have you faced similar issue?
Quite literally so, the face of smartphones is about to change. The problem of smartphone screens smashing on impact may be a thing of past times, courtesy: Polymer scientists at...
Hello everyone, I am new in this forum, and I hope our experienced engineers will help in my day to day problems. I will start from a short self intro,...
A few days ago at the Tizen Developer Conference 2014, developers presented new projects such as Samsung Z, Tizen TV SDK & details on Tizen OS IVI 3.0. During the...
Reddit user aperson posted couple of awesome pics of the barbeque grill that runs Ubuntu OS. PS : Barbeque Grill is used as case. You don't need this much of...