What happens to engineers after graduation

Just found this stip on Quora and couldn't stop myself from sharing it. It gives a correct representation of your life as an engineer, after you graduate and join the work-force.

engineers-cubicle

What do CEans think?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Its a misconception which people have about engineers.

People think its a curse to be spending long hours working before a computer

and they also think its a curse to be laboring away in a workshop or a manufacturing unit.

but then what exactly according to them is not a curse ?

the comic strip is over-exaggerated. you cannot compare, being caught in a trap, to working as an engineer. you are only earning your living, and if you are comfortable with your job, then the question never arises.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am an Engineer in the making I spend about 8 hours apart from my college time with my laptop Does that mean I am trapped no

But to some laptops become their life and that may seem a trap not sure about it till I reach that level I can't comment either
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, people should understand that service industry and development industry are two different things. May be I am opening up a whole new debate here but I have never seen a guy who is working in BPO or service companies satisfied with his job. They all feel like trapped. While most of the developers are happy with what they do.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Have you ever worked in a cubicle?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kaustubh Katdare

ofcourse i have ! and had a hell of a time !

i did a month long internship at WABCO, and i and my group were put in the R&D department.

we had a cubicle to ourselves, and we were given a project to re-engineer a pedal unit. we had to work using the pro-e software.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I've got myself into this trap. It was horrible feeling when I realized where I was after nearly 4 years. Confined to 3 walls with a computer in front of you. All the time having fun with labs at uni, working on awesome projects, then being a hot shot on the field in the beginning of my career. I never realized the impact of ending up at the cubicle (incidentally with more formal clothes).

After being active again on CE recently, getting involved in discussions, researching new tech stuff.. it was only after closing the browser, that work suddenly became mundane and routine. I felt useless in this environment. It just dawned upon me: I was trapped.

It wont be like this for everyone. But when you get caught up with work load and other priorities, you can lose track of the direction of your career. Its just the reality of life.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do anything about it. Take the red pill and seek out other opportunities 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ditto for me. I remember, when I joined the cubicle-force; I totally liked it. But a month or two of working in a cubicle, I felt I was getting trapped. I discussed with my colleagues if they felt the same; and found out that I was the only one who felt like that. I think not everyone would feel like that; but when you know that you belong to some other place; the cubicle starts to look like a jail.

I felt bad when I referred to my 4ft x 4 ft space in the corner of cubicle as my 'office'.

ash
    Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do anything about it. Take the red pill and seek out other opportunities 😀
    Couldn't agree more. I didn't like the cubicle life. Those who can seek other options, should really explore them. 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I will answer this after one year after my graduation 😀
    Just kidding.
    Those who love their job will mot say this comment.
    But loving a job and enjoying alone does not fulfill the life.A good job with good family makes a great life.But the real twist is here that it will be difficult to give equal preference to both.
    Whats your say on this ?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    If one doesn't enjoy one's job, any space will feel like a trap.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    When I joined the company, we had a workspace with 8 analysts in it and closed doors. When the company decided to expand, our bosses decided to keep it an open space between all departments. Ofcourse night shifts are tiring with just 2 of us, but overall the environment has changed. I often find myself getting carried away with members from other departments and often helping then out in whatever way I can - be it photoshop or web related stuff. This makes me forget how boring my job is. Time and again you need to get your mind off that cubicle you've set yourself into. I do that by making meaningful conversation or else logging into CE.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I never did. Am the odd man out. Always worked in an open department. Never had an 'office'. Sat at any currently unoccupied desk. When I did have a formal office as lab head rarely sat in it except to sign papers. Mostly at my own academic workplace.

Do I feel trapped? Of course I do by my own addiction to what I do.

However reluctant, I must agree with the message of the strip.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : You're among the lucky few sire; I had once raised concern that we should be allowed to sit anywhere. But the company had setup a cubicle almost everywhere leaving no free space. Whatever 'free space' was there was converted into 'meeting room'.

I really like how Google images work-place. Their offices are totally cool and very productive.

I can't help but share this stip by Scott Adams

dilbert-cubicle​

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here in Ahmedabad, I daily watch an old lady driving a small sized car, running with electricity. i have heard some of my friends discussing about it & they say...
Share your Handwriting ! 😉 Kaustubh Katdare​Abhishek Rawal ​anoopthefriend ​ianoop ​narayana murthy ​Pensu ​A.V.Ramani ​Sanyam Khurana ​rkvasan68 ​crazyboy ​Apurwa Thakur​
I am thinking of making a hand mounted device for blind people to navigate. It would use ultrasonic sensors. But I think some more features can be added to it...
https://www.crazyengineers.com/threa...by-samsung-nvidia-qualcomm.68860/#post-282470 Check the comments of this thread and you will find Abhishek Rawal and Megoing into another heated row in CE Well this is not the first and it will...
This one seems to be better than the usual solar gadgets. About to hit the market. Pre launch price of about us$ 250 seems steep for the developing countries. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scotfrank/solsource-cook-anything-under-the-sun