What exactly needs to be done in a paper presentation?

i am a second year b-tech student of mechanical.there is this paper presentation where i want to take part.but i have no clue what is to be done.
does it have to be my own innovation,like a project, or should it be an analysis of something that is already done?the topics cover a huge area.therefore, if it should be an analysis of something that already exists, then do i have to chose a particular thing out of the topic and analyse that?

Please do reply. its "urgent"!๐Ÿ˜’

Replies

• shahdharmit
    shahdharmit
    See for the latest research going on in the field of your interest. Select some topic. Search for the topic using Google. You'll get good documentation on #-Link-Snipped-#.

Now the hard copy of your paper presentation should strictly be of IEEE format. Ask your faculty to explain you about the format. I urge you not to simply copy-paste the material from the Internet into your paper. Do enough study. And do some modifications in it. Also if you've got some point in your mind regarding the topic then mention it.

Next comes the presentation aka ppt part. You might be given about 4-5 minutes for presenting and then a minute or two would be for the questions from judges and audience. Depending upon the time given to you for presenting your ppt, make appropriate number of slides. Select a nice template for the slides. Don't go for very bright and funny/decorative slides. Simple slides with minimal designing are best.

Hope it's clear now.
  • simanti
    simanti
    thanx.it makes things clearer.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Mag
    Mag
    Being an I.T student I'd just like to help you out saying that, it will completely depend on your topic that whether it requires an analysis or whether it should be some previous one.
    I'd suggest you present an entirely new topic that wouldn't be much complex but smart enough to be explained to the audience.
    Even if it's gonna be a small topic, just elaborate it and explain it at your best..you'll surely step out to be effective after following this.;-)
    So..Best of Luck.
    BaBye
  • Vega
    Vega
    To put it in simple words -- a) Choose a topic, b) study it and c) present what you have studied to audience. That's paper presentation.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Paper presentation is not same as project. For presenting a paper, you need to pick up a topic and then study it in depth; gathering as much information you can gather from various source. The main motto behind organizing paper presentation contests,fests is to make students aware of what's going on in the world of technology & engineering.

I'd recommend taking down notes of all the important points you understand during your preparation so that they come handy while working on the presentation. Making a power point presentation isn't very hard thing to do if you know the subject very well. Begin with a simple introduction and briefly discuss the topic (maybe it could be a solution to some problem). In next slides go on touching various sub-topics (uses, advantages, disadvantages, applications etc.) and conclude your presentation with a summary of what you discussed. I'd also encourage you to discuss your own thoughts on the topic. Why hide creativity & imagination? ๐Ÿ˜€

Be sure not to load your slides with text. Use larger fonts and big pictures in your slideshow. If you write everything on the slides, then audience will not listen to you. They'll read the text themselves and not pay attention to you.

I hope this helps. If you need any further information, feel free to ask in this thread ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    i second what biggie said.

the paper presentation is usually of 10 minutes followed by 5 mins question answer round.
    do not use much text. just mention the headings and explain them in your words. its a presentation and not essay/story writing competition right? ๐Ÿ˜€

Since you are in mech field, I advice you study your topic well and focus more on practical application of your topic. Do some 1st hand practicals on it if possible and present your data and results too. these will definitely fetch you more marks. Present your data effectively through graphs and charts.

Keep text to the min, use more of images, keep text big and bold. dont clutter a single slide. use videos too(include audio only where needed).

and most of all prepare yourself for the QnA session with the judges. If you answer them well, you can guarantee your success.
  • KOVINDRAN A P
    KOVINDRAN A P
    can i explain my project idea in a paper presentation.
    plzz do reply. i m a second year in mechanical engineering. i love it a lot..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KOVINDRAN
    can i explain my project idea in a paper presentation.
    plzz do reply. i m a second year in mechanical engineering. i love it a lot..
    I think that'd depend upon the nature of the paper presentation contest. If it allows you to discuss ideas, then you may; else not.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

They say love makes the world goes round. And they'd be spot on. When we love and are loved unconditionally by a tippety-top-tastic perfect partner, life makes sense. And the...
Which building do you think is the ugliest? Different people have different criteria for what makes a structure unappealing.Let me see the top ten ugliest buildings voted by many people....
i am studying in Btech (electronics and communication engineering) i planed to study MS program after my engineering i saw many MS programs but i liked 1. MS (electrical engineering)...
I am from ECE and in 7th Sem and having a Knowledge of 8051,AVR,ARM7 & PIC Microcontroller .I want to build future in the field of Embedded System. Could anyone...
Hello Friends, i wish to use this medium to find out if any one can help me get a Project for my Masters in Telecomunications, possibly on Network congestion it...