What exactly is the weight acting ?

Well, this one may look a it silly but i was kinda bugged by it as i dont have that much knowledge about this one-
When we do the cycling process.. the conventional one with the pedals and all the stuff and the aerobic cycles with the stationery base.. what is the difference of the weight that we are actually pulling on. What do the readings on the aerobic cycles actually mean. In a conventional one though, we are pulling our own weight of 55 odd kgs.. with some mechanicaal advantage..are we pulling the same quantity of weight while exercising in aerobic cycles? but as for the feeling, the conventional ones seem to be lesser than the latter ones.. so. now as u could see the problem am having..i'd like some suggestions on what exactly is taking place. .-

Replies

• Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    i am also curious about this question
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    #-Link-Snipped-# yeah.. me too with the question as with the answer😒
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Amith Gupta
    Well, this one may look a it silly but i was kinda bugged by it as i dont have that much knowledge about this one-
    When we do the cycling process.. the conventional one with the pedals and all the stuff and the aerobic cycles with the stationery base.. what is the difference of the weight that we are actually pulling on. What do the readings on the aerobic cycles actually mean. In a conventional one though, we are pulling our own weight of 55 odd kgs.. with some mechanicaal advantage..are we pulling the same quantity of weight while exercising in aerobic cycles? but as for the feeling, the conventional ones seem to be lesser than the latter ones.. so. now as u could see the problem am having..i'd like some suggestions on what exactly is taking place. .-

If you are asking the question of comparison between conventional cycle and aerobic exercise cycle, the you have already answered your question.

In aerobic cycle, we can adjust the mechanical advantage. In other words we are avoiding it. This makes us work out more to travel the same distance.

Seeing your question with I law of thermodynamics perspective, the energy of pulling your weight (55 kg in your case) is conserved. But you are increasing the entropy of the system (II law) in aerobic cycle and converting the useful work potential your body to a low grade energy..which is what the purpose of exercise is.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue is right.
    In a regular bike that is well lubricated and going along horizontal surface, the exertion is only to overcome road friction, bike friction and any wind resistance. The exercise bike has a brake pad with adjustable resistance, which the user chooses. As issue says in this case your effort is converted into heat. In a sense your body consumes the calories that is generated.
    What happens to the energy in the case of a normal bike? That also gets converted to heat.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    well, that is fine, but are we pulling the same weight in an aerobic as well as the conventional cycle ? if not.. then why dont we feel it.. and if yes, then why dont we simplify the conventional cycle accordingly for better efficiency and comfort .😕
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    No, in a regular bike it is the bike weight and the payload that is pulled. The effort required is decided by the friction and wind resistance.
    In an aerobic bike you choose what resistance to apply.
    For your general information: An article published in the journal New Scientist many decades back reported that a man on a bike was the most efficient locomotion system in the whole universe starting from a micro-organism to motion of galaxies in space.
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    ohh. so the resistance is what makes us feel what we're actually pulling !😒
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    Issue is right.
    In a regular bike that is well lubricated and going along horizontal surface, the exertion is only to overcome road friction, bike friction and any wind resistance. The exercise bike has a brake pad with adjustable resistance, which the user chooses. As issue says in this case your effort is converted into heat. In a sense your body consumes the calories that is generated.
    What happens to the energy in the case of a normal bike? That also gets converted to heat.
    Amazing, to know that human riding bicycle is the most efficient locomotion system in whole universe! 😀
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    No I am in a position to understand this situation to some extent

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A retired electronic/mechanical engineer. Has been involved in Teaching, Design & Development and Project Management. Has been employed, mostly at arms manufacturers, in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Below...
ok, i got this one while watching some random movie. Everytime the brake of some 4 wheeler fails, the person tries to stop it by hitting it onto some object,...
my self. i used to think innovative and love science and biology i am a gye one who like to improvise the biological life in earth by application of physical...
Hello CE I'm Arjun Reddy studying my civil engineering course in new horizon college of engineering, its very happy life i enjoy my studies with my friends, my hobby is...
I have cleared gate in 2011. The Gate score is valid for two years. Now, while I'm applying for PGCET in 2012, which is the qualifying marks that they are...