What Does It Mean By 'Dedicated Core For Special Features' & How Does It Works ?

Read latest comment by @#-Link-Snipped-# in article : #-Link-Snipped-# about dedicated core for special features like camera, natural lang processing etc.
I would like to know, what it does & how does it work ?

PS :I could've asked in that VoiCE article, but if I ask, some people think that I am 'challenging their knowledge' so I thought it would be better to create another thread.
So here it is!

Feed me with the knowledge, because when it comes to processors or digital electronics, I can't afford missing knowledge regarding it 😀

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Modern electronics is mostly SoC - system on chip integrating various processing circuits in a single chip. The cores refer to these sections on the chip. For a processor though, the cores are all processing units.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anand Tamariya
    Modern electronics is mostly SoC - system on chip integrating various processing circuits in a single chip. The cores refer to these sections on the chip. For a processor though, the cores are all processing units.
    Ofcourse I know all these.
    What I want to know is, how a core is selected for single application.
    Take for an example : (I forgot which company designed it..maybe it was Exynos 5) There are 5 core processors, 4 cores are dedciated for processing & 1 core for power saving. I wanna know, how it is achieved ?
    Now, take this current scenario and assume there is quad core used, When camera is started, how does one core begins to concentrate only on camera or natural lang processing & other still performs processing normal data at normal state.
    What's it's advantage over normal processing ?

There are list full of questions, but I would like to know these at first.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    When camera is started, how does one core begins to concentrate only on camera or natural lang processing & other still performs processing normal data at normal state.
    This is easier than,calculating and identifying which processor should be used in run time.

If there is no dedicated core then OS scheduler have to decide on run-time which core to select for the process but, if core is dedicated it like Hadcoding that if this process starts use this core.
    It makes easy for scheduling thread and low power consuming, stated that those cores will not be used for another process and hence low performance.

Same happen when you run virtual machine and you have to select what are the cores should be dedicated to virtual OS.

Not related to dedicated core but good read PDF
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for information. Will get back with more questions after reading some good articles regarding dedicated processing.

This is interesting!
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    I saw this 'core dedication' on review of moto x by marques brownie...
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    sorry
    Aditya Deshmukh
    I saw this 'core dedication' on review of moto x by marques brownie...
    sorry on this one
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - it's more about the choice of words you use in asking questions. No one has stopped you from asking questions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nine years back, Akshai Varde started the company called 'Vardenchi Motorcycles' with a team of 3 and Rs. 2 Lakhs in funds. His passionate attempt at the remodeling bikes business...
[HASHTAG]#NaMo[/HASHTAG] has launched e-Nagar project in Gujarat. The project begins with setting up high-speed wireless hotspots at about 8 locations in Ahmedabad. The project will then expand to creating Wi-Fi...
Last year we’ve heard about Google Inc. is working on modular phone kits inspired from “Phonbloks” named “Project Ara”. Google is developing this modular phone with their Motorola mobility division....
CEan @Aashish Joshi is celebrating his birthday today! Here's wishing Aashish many happy returns of the day! 😀
Hai CEians, I am now studying Fundamental of circuits, Transistors, OP-Amp, etc.. So i am searching for good ebooks, I'm now using the book Lessons In Electric Circuits, Volume III...