What do you expect from future computer operating systems?

I wish to know what our CEans expect from all future computer operating systems? Do you have any special expectations?

I personally expect two things -

1. Instant On feature.
2. Single OS to run on multiple platforms: Computers, Mobile, Tabs et al.

Replies

• Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    -A lockable "My Documents",More focus should be on security.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    instant on feature is definitely expected and I guess the next version of Windows might support something similar if the the same.

My expectation is of an OS that is a combination of the good features of Windows+Linux and it being highly customisable. Let there be a standard package with all standard tools and applications for the average user. But there should be a separate light version which could be customisable by the user. Let this version be based on the plugin model type design. Just select a plugin from the OS site (or 3rd any other party) and you get the feature within your OS.
    Some good plugins of this type could be a tool for locking a particular folder (having that option on Right Click Menu) or a set of selected folders, a multi IM tool, and other popular software that we install and use today.

Plugin based software such as in several open source ware and similar to ones in Firefox can potentially enhance the way we use the computers. Also, restarting after every installation of a service or software should be changed and a model similar to the one in linux could be applied where only the service and the dependencies could be stopped and restarted without affecting others.

ps. on a side note, I believe that our internet connectivity and options for the same should improve for us to be able to use and enjoy the features to the maximum extent. Most of the features in modern OS need good internet connectivity to access or use them(cloud?)!
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Well what i want i founded them in Linux.Currently i don't know the peak of the features provided by linux.So i am not going to talk what my next wants in future operating system.
    But ya i'm little with sure that must have some features like linux.

@Opty Nice points.
  • paresh006
    paresh006
    I want an os to be machine friendly and the second one is user friendly... Truly it should have instant on feature.
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    SINGLE SIGN ON(SSO) ....according to user wise login in OS..it should directly open up other selected applications(can include even gmail or yahoomail) without prompting for username or password(this needs to be set by user at the initial login time)
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I thought instant on was a feature in the computer hardware. Like, adding non-volatile RAM or something.

How can an OS provide this feature through software???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Alright, the question might look very biased because I've mostly seen the distance education programs fail. I wish to know whether anyone here taken a distance education course and has...
Suppose I am working on my computer. And I have no clue about the whereabouts of my cellphone. (Because I don't remember where I kept it last.) Wouldn't it be...
Why #pragma() is used in C programming? What is meant by structure padding in C programming? How is this related to pragma directive? Please do reply.
hi all. i want to know about various national and international competitions in field of engineering. any good website address would be nice. and also please enllist competitions which can...
The World's Leading Trade Fair for the Automotive Industry 14 to 19 September 2010! Automechanika 2010