CrazyEngineers
  • I have a music CD which is nearly five years old.

It is scratched and dirtied in such a way, that it now no longer plays properly in either DVD player or PC.

Now is there anyway by which this thing can be restored. ? I have heard that there is something called "CD cleaning fluid" available in the market. will this help in anyway ?

Now even if the CD is physically damaged beyond repair, then is there any way by which its contents alone can be retrieved and saved on some other storage media ?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 16, 2014

Okay, well - it once did work for me; but I'd certainly not recommend it. I just used a hair dryer to blow off the dust from the CD's surface and then wiped it clean with the special glasses cleaning cloth. It worked; but if you've no other option left - give it a try.

Even the tiniest dust particles may damage the disk. One of my friends used to dip all the CDs in a buckt of water and get them working.

Wondering if anyone's tried it.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberJan 16, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare
    Even the tiniest dust particles may damage the disk. One of my friends used to dip all the CDs in a buckt of water and get them working.
    Now that sounds very much like a stunt to me.

did his CDs work after that. ?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

zaveri

Yes; but again - I'm not recommending it. Do it if everything else fails.
    Cancel
  • Ankita Katdare

I remember reading an article about the same issue on LifeHacker a long time back. There is something called a CD Recovery Toolbox -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You can use it to restore information lost as a result of some mechanical damage of the disk (scratches, chips, different spots on the surface) or as a result of incorrect recording.
    It will also detect your disk if it is not getting detected after all those scratches.
    Haven't tried it though, so can't post a review.
    Cancel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberJan 16, 2014

zaveri

It may sound weird but to be honest, I had tried it and it worked for me. I used a small cotton cloth(Your old T shirt may be) and immerse it in cold water.Make it less dripping and wipe the CD from center towards outside.Using CD cleaner would be apt if you had it.As big K said, It should be your last hope.
    Cancel
  • Vishal Sharma

MemberJan 17, 2014

and how this comes under CS/IT??
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 17, 2014

Vishal0203
    and how this comes under CS/IT??
    Moved.
    Cancel
  • Vishal Sharma

MemberJan 17, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved.
    thank you! 😀
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register