What are ISO Images?

what are ISO images?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Re: ISO Images

its a Image file of CD/DVD you can burn this file to CD/DVD at once by clicking on it.

there are many software that supports this type of ISO creation and ISO burning.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

Take a Look here also
    Optical disc image - Wikipedia
  • durga ch
    durga ch

ok, so why imaging? why not burning?what's the difference between burning and imaging then?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    well,in a simple case, you might not have access to a dvd, but still you want to transfer some files, then you can consider imaging. You can also directly copy it to your pen drive, but there's fear that some small files may not be copied fully. some may go missing or get corrupted. if you take an ISO image, such problems dont occur. This is in a crude level though.

The real application of image files lies in using a software or an application without actually using the dvd. There are softwares like poweISO, wherein, you can mount the ISO imge and use the software without actually using the disc. Let' say you buy a game and play it to such an extent that the dvd gets scratched badly. you dont want to use it again and again but you still want to play the game. then you can take an image of the disc and use it to play the game without the dvd. clear?:smile:
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Remember, if you want to burn an .iso file into CD, you MUST use a specialized ISO burner software or the ISO function of a standard burner software. Just burning the .iso file directly would not extract its contents.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    silverscorpion
    well,in a simple case, you might not have access to a dvd, but still you want to transfer some files, then you can consider imaging. You can also directly copy it to your pen drive, but there's fear that some small files may not be copied fully. some may go missing or get corrupted. if you take an ISO image, such problems dont occur. This is in a crude level though.

The real application of image files lies in using a software or an application without actually using the dvd. There are softwares like poweISO, wherein, you can mount the ISO imge and use the software without actually using the disc. Let' say you buy a game and play it to such an extent that the dvd gets scratched badly. you dont want to use it again and again but you still want to play the game. then you can take an image of the disc and use it to play the game without the dvd. clear?:smile:
    hey that was a bit of information.
    thanks for that!๐Ÿ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    Remember, if you want to burn an .iso file into CD, you MUST use a specialized ISO burner software or the ISO function of a standard burner software. Just burning the .iso file directly would not extract its contents.
    *durga feeling embrassed*

I did not do that part of it.
    I direclty burned it using a normal burner.

aah!! since it is complete 'image' of a CD and not data by sectors , it needs to be put back on the CD on a same way!

I missed it ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜’
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Haha, it happens. I also did that mistake before ๐Ÿ˜‰

What program did you use to burn? It should have an ISO burner feature
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    downloaded active ISO burner and burned the CD,
    basically its fedora 10 ๐Ÿ˜€ and I wanted to learn it.. so instead of changing the whole OS i downloaded the live CD of it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    So, it works now? ๐Ÿ˜€

I've only tried Fedora 9. Loved it!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    mate!!

The fedora .iso file what i downloaded was corrupted.I could just see that welcome message and later it said failed to find x files, redirecting to shell prompt

now that i know what to do.. I will download one more version of it.

will try for ubuntu .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ubuntu is recommended for its user friendliness ๐Ÿ˜€

... Big K is one of its biggest fans ๐Ÿ˜›
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm a fan of ubuntu too..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok now

What's the difference between a live CD and a install?

If live cd can meet all the requirements of a install, then why dont computer comes with OS live CDs? a couple of them ๐Ÿ˜›

user can install which ever he wants.

and data on the drive should be accesible with both
    ๐Ÿ˜•
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The difference basically is in the scope where each one is used.. Live CD is a preview of what you are about to load, and it can be used as a tool for recovery. If some boot loader files gets corrupted and if the OS wont boot, then live cd can be used to get it up and running. You can also use it to preview some new linux distro before installing it in your system.

That said, installed version always has more resources and more applications to use than the live cd version. As said before, it's just a preview.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep. Live CD's decompress all their programs into the RAM, so it may run slower than an installed system.

However, there are some Linux systems where you use the Live CD in conjunction with a USB drive that stores all your data and programs. That would be a better combination ๐Ÿ˜€ I think KNOPPIX does this.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ah! ok. so pluggin your USB drive and it should start up an new OS. That sounds even better than i live CD

thanks both of you! I got it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • maheshvshet
    maheshvshet
    Hey Folks,

The ISO image if available on your hard disk, install Daemon Tools Lite (Version 4.30.0 (which i have installed)). Now you can mount the ISO image by right clicking the Daemon lite tools icon. Once mounted, it is as if you have a CD mounted and you can explore the files available in the ISO.

On the other hand there are tools available to convert an entire directory/folder into an ISO image and Vice-Versa.

Regards
    Mahesh V. Shet
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    maheshvshet
    The ISO image if available on your hard disk, install Daemon Tools Lite (Version 4.30.0 (which i have installed)). Now you can mount the ISO image by right clicking the Daemon lite tools icon. Once mounted, it is as if you have a CD mounted and you can explore the files available in the ISO.
    Yep, this is useful for installing software. You can create many virtual drives to mount ISO files. Of course, you can't install software that requires a clean boot ๐Ÿ˜›

I'm downloading Fedora 10 now. Looks awesome ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i m a 3rd year electronic engg student... as my 'mini-project', i plan to make sum telescope which is capable of positioning itself given the co-ordinates/location of a star/planet, w.r.t...
CEans, We have partnered with GIDS [Great Indian Developer Summit] 09. Here's a brief information about GIDS : India's Largest, Independent Summit for The Software Developer Ecosystem :: Great Indian...
Hey CEans, For all you budding entrepreneurs, I'm throwing a gauntlet here. Let us assume that I'm a venture capitalist. I'm riding on about $1 million (appx 5 crores INR)...
can anyone give me a brief description about IPv6
sir im a 3rd year student of elecronics & communication engineering , what is the procedure for applying for summer internship in reputed companies like TI etc. what is the...