What are businesses looking for?

I'm working on my resume right now and it is the first time that I've been able to approach it with much more marketing background. Before, it was just an objective piece of paper that stated my facts. I know today, that I should be selling myself and selling my good points.

I can start acting on some of the marketing things I've learned. Such as eliminating passive verbs because they come off... well passive and weak.

I know the best thing you can illustrate is that you have the experience and knowledge to do the job they want, without a doubt. That's tough since I have no experience. I'm trying to figure out the qualities they're looking for, so that I can demonstrate them in a different way.

Plus, I should add. Not sure if this happens everywhere, but in Canada businesses never advertise or seek out unexperienced/new grad engineers. It's a matter of sending a resume and cover letter in to them. At least when you can view a job posting you can get a general idea of what they want.

I guess to reiterate my question, what qualities are businesses looking for when seeking an employee? Especially someone lacking the necessary experience.

Replies

• Vega
    Vega
    full of enthusiasm, positive attitude towards work, proactiveness, innovative, flexible, tolerant and patient, excellent communication, good grasping power, good computer knowledge, stable, etc.
  • rationalguy
    rationalguy
    Thanks for the detail of characteristics. I'm going to have to figure out how to create these on the resume.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Rationalguy,
    Now be rational 😀.

Here's a process we used to do in our b-school.
    1. Make a resume where you write down everything about yourself. All showcase-able facts. Everything!! This is your "Master Resume"
    2. Now look at the organization you want to join, and do some research into who they are, what are they into, what values do they value, so on and so forth
    3. Now, in a blank resume cut and paste stuff from your Master Resume into this new Targeted Resume. Take only the things which are relevant to that company and nothing additional.

Make the language crisp, and you should have a targeted resume customized for that organization.
  • Vega
    Vega
    rationalguy
    Thanks for the detail of characteristics. I'm going to have to figure out how to create these on the resume.
    Make sure you create them inside you along with creating them on your resume. 😀

Best.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The newly launched iPad, the tablet offers much more than book reading as compared to the Kindle. No matter how many people have bought Kindle (Amazon says there are millions...
Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | December 2009 challenges Let x be a 25-bit number, such that Πi=110(x&mi) is a nontrivial integer power (nk, n and k are integers,...
Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | January 2010 challenges Present a computation whose result is 5, being a composition of commonly used mathematical functions and field operators (anything from...
if D.C. supply of two positive terminals gifven to the D.C. motor, what action takes place ?
Hi everybody, I have a GPS module which is connected to my PC through Serial Port. Using VB 2008 Express Edition, data received from my GPS model can be displayed...