From the Archives
Archived discussions on CrazyEngineers

@Sanyam Khurana • 10 May, 2013

Can someone explain what are the advantages of Norton's theorem over Thevenin's theorem? 

I studied both Thevenin and Norton's theorem to reduce a complex network, and I know that Norton is an extension of Thevenin's Theorem, but could someone tell me what are the advantages of Norton's theorem?

What was lacking in Thevenin that Norton's theorem was introduced?

@Abhishek Rawal • 10 May, 2013 • 1 like
Sanyam Khurana
Hey,

I studied both Thevenin and Norton's theorem to reduce a complex network, and I know that Norton is an extension of Thevenin's Theorem, but could someone tell me what are the advantages of Norton's theorem?

What was lacking in Thevenin that Norton's theorem was introduced?
Both the methods are used to solve the complex network.
Norton's Theorem & Thevenin's Theorem are "Duals". Hence you might've noticed that Norton's theorem uses Current Source & Resistors in parallel while Thevenin's theorem uses Voltage source & Resistors in series.This is nothing but "Duality".
@Sanyam Khurana • 10 May, 2013 Yes, but what's the advantages of using Norton over Thevenin..?
@Abhishek Rawal • 10 May, 2013 • 1 like
Sanyam Khurana
Yes, but what's the advantages of using Norton over Thevenin..?
It doesn't have any specific advantage over eachother.Both are equally useful : Sometimes it is easier/better to use Norton's equivalent circuit while sometimes Thevenin's equivalent circuit.
It all depends on the circuit network.
@Sanyam Khurana • 10 May, 2013 This question was actually asked in my viva, and I'm sure would be asked in external one too....

and the answer I gave was yours but examiner rejected, he said

"Are bhai, thevenin mein kuch to aisa hoga ki Norton introduce karna pada tha, tell me that"

Now help me, please
@Sanyam Khurana • 12 May, 2013 Just Bumping this thread , to get a precise answer of the above mentioned question.

Please if someone knows exactly What improvement was done in Thevenin's Theorem to make Norton's Theorem , please reply.

Thanks in advance. 😉
@mifo • 16 May, 2013
= Sanyam Khurana
This question was actually asked in my viva, and I'm sure would be asked in external one too....

and the answer I gave was yours but examiner rejected, he said"Are bhai, thevenin mein kuch to aisa hoga ki Norton introduce karna pada tha, tell me that"
It is just as the moderator said- Norton's Theorem is a dual of the Thevenin's Theorem.

The Norton's Theorem was Invented by Er. Edward Lawry Norton when he was working on the Recording Instrumentation which worked on current source. And hence the Norton's Theorem was Invented to aid the designing more easier.

I hope It was useful.
@Sanyam Khurana • 16 May, 2013 Abhishek Rawal, You were right bro, today I asked my teacher and he said the same thing.

mifo Thanks.

Even I answered the same, then I don't know why he responded this way. 😛

No problem, now it's confirmed...

Thanks . 😀
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 20 May, 2013 One more thing When you go in for complex amplifiers and stuff Based on application only you convert the circuit in its equivalent.

For example If you are using a current follower you go for Norton equivalent and if it is a Voltage amplifier you go for Thevenin equivalent
@nidhi ajay sharma • 09 Jul, 2015 can anyone tell me some more questions on network theorems.

Related Posts

Archives

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jul 16, 2015

A lot of CDAC aspirants have contacted asking which CDAC course is the best for job and placements? Frankly speaking, I did not know the answer but the volume of...
Archives

@arjun srivastav · Oct 28, 2012

I wish to know how to check whether my Windows installation is genuine or pirated?
Archives

@vipandeep · Mar 21, 2011

There are two poles of equal height 15mts. One cable with length 16mts is hanging between that two poles. The height from center of the cable to earth is 7mts...
Archives

@Akhilesh Garud · Dec 26, 2014

iBall inc. has introduced two new smartphones in the Indian market- Andi 4P IPS Gem and Andi ARC. While Andi 4P IPS Gem is available at a price tag of...
Archives

@TheV · Jan 18, 2011

Hello Friends, I am presently in 3rd year CSE. Actually I want to know the name of the company whose doesn't see 10th percentage. My current GPA is 8.2 and...