What are advantages of Norton's Theorem over Thevenin?

What are advantages of Norton's Theorem over Thevenin?

Hey,

I studied both Thevenin and Norton's theorem to reduce a complex network, and I know that Norton is an extension of Thevenin's Theorem, but could someone tell me what are the advantages of Norton's theorem?

What was lacking in Thevenin that Norton's theorem was introduced?

Answer: Understand Norton’s Theorem

Norton's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in circuit analysis that simplifies the analysis of complex electrical circuits.

According to the theorem, any linear two-terminal circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a current source IN in parallel with a resistance RN.

IN is the short-circuit current through the terminals, and RN is the equivalent resistance seen across the terminals when independent voltage and current sources are turned off.

Norton's theorem is useful for simplifying the analysis of complex electrical networks, especially in the analysis of power systems and integrated circuits.

It is particularly useful when we want to analyze the current in a specific load resistor in a complicated network.

The Significance of Norton's Theorem

The Norton's theorem is significant due to the following reasons:

1. It allows for the simplification of complex networks, reducing them to a simple current source and parallel resistance.

2. It simplifies the process of analyzing circuits by reducing the amount of calculations needed.

3. It is useful for analyzing power systems and integrated circuits, where you're often interested in analyzing currents.

4. The theorem helps in the design and analysis of systems like amplifiers and signal processors.

Advantages over Thevenin's theorem

Whether Norton's theorem has advantages over Thevenin's theorem depends largely on the specifics of the problem at hand. The two theorems are essentially equivalent, with each providing a way to simplify the analysis of complex networks.

However, Norton's theorem can be more convenient in some circumstances:

1. Analysis of Currents: If you're primarily interested in analyzing currents in a circuit, Norton's theorem can be more direct because it represents the circuit in terms of an equivalent current source.

2. Parallel Circuits: Norton's theorem is often more useful for circuits where components are primarily in parallel, as it provides an equivalent circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor.

In general, the choice between using Thevenin's theorem and Norton's theorem is a matter of convenience depending on the specific problem you're trying to solve.

Both theorems are powerful tools for simplifying and analyzing electrical networks.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    Hey,

I studied both Thevenin and Norton's theorem to reduce a complex network, and I know that Norton is an extension of Thevenin's Theorem, but could someone tell me what are the advantages of Norton's theorem?

What was lacking in Thevenin that Norton's theorem was introduced?
    Both the methods are used to solve the complex network.
    Norton's Theorem & Thevenin's Theorem are "Duals". Hence you might've noticed that Norton's theorem uses Current Source & Resistors in parallel while Thevenin's theorem uses Voltage source & Resistors in series.This is nothing but "Duality".
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yes, but what's the advantages of using Norton over Thevenin..?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    Yes, but what's the advantages of using Norton over Thevenin..?
    It doesn't have any specific advantage over eachother.Both are equally useful : Sometimes it is easier/better to use Norton's equivalent circuit while sometimes Thevenin's equivalent circuit.
    It all depends on the circuit network.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    This question was actually asked in my viva, and I'm sure would be asked in external one too....

and the answer I gave was yours but examiner rejected, he said

"Are bhai, thevenin mein kuch to aisa hoga ki Norton introduce karna pada tha, tell me that"

Now help me, please
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Just Bumping this thread , to get a precise answer of the above mentioned question.

Please if someone knows exactly What improvement was done in Thevenin's Theorem to make Norton's Theorem , please reply.

Thanks in advance. 😉
  • mifo
    mifo
    = Sanyam Khurana
    This question was actually asked in my viva, and I'm sure would be asked in external one too....

and the answer I gave was yours but examiner rejected, he said"Are bhai, thevenin mein kuch to aisa hoga ki Norton introduce karna pada tha, tell me that"
    It is just as the moderator said- Norton's Theorem is a dual of the Thevenin's Theorem.

The Norton's Theorem was Invented by Er. Edward Lawry Norton when he was working on the Recording Instrumentation which worked on current source. And hence the Norton's Theorem was Invented to aid the designing more easier.

I hope It was useful.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-#, You were right bro, today I asked my teacher and he said the same thing.

#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks.

Even I answered the same, then I don't know why he responded this way. 😛

No problem, now it's confirmed...

Thanks . 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One more thing When you go in for complex amplifiers and stuff Based on application only you convert the circuit in its equivalent.

For example If you are using a current follower you go for Norton equivalent and if it is a Voltage amplifier you go for Thevenin equivalent
  • nidhi ajay sharma
    nidhi ajay sharma
    can anyone tell me some more questions on network theorems.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Get ready for amazing luxury and environment friendly car with consumer rating of 99/100 Features includs: 0-60 miles/hour in 4.3 sec Full Feature list: https://www.teslamotors.com FAQ: https://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#roadtrips Look at following...
PLEASE HELP ME BY SENDING A FREE BODY DIAGRAM REGARDING VARIOUS LOADS ON THE BRACINGS OF STRUCTURAL METALLIC COLUMN.
Hello all, How do i get a scholarship for studying engineering in one of the prestigious colleges of USA? Thanks a lot Calvin Brave
The e-commerce giant has made its mark in the gadget market with the success of Kindle but if sources are to believed, it has more ambitious projects in the making....
Memories are quite important to us, and having them stored away digitally has been a boon given to us by technology. Having a backup of all memories in our head...