What adds more weightage to a resume? Academics or Projects?

The current job scenario is such that several above 80% candidates are unable to land up on jobs. What adds more weight age to our resume now a days? Will a number of projects that one does at home apart from academic projects overshadow the 70% marks a candidate has got and give him/her an edge over other 80 % candidates? I am unsure as to how resume screening is done. Only based on marks or even the kind of projects that we worked upon. Any ideas?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    In India, they concentrate on marks, nothing else.
    Government companies looks at your academic performance & conducts test, then hires you.
    Do they look upon your last year projects ? Hell No!
    But, I think Engineering is all about practical approach & not just memorizing the shit which never will be helpful.So, I would rather give importance to projects than just academics, which doesn't mean that academics is not important. I think we should learn to perform equally good in both department.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Depends on situation.

Take an example (for a college pass out),
    In case of a college campus - Companies screen your CV on basis of academics marks. In interviews they do consider the projects as well (If and only if they are not doing the mass recruitment)

In case of Walk-ins, academics is not the only basis for screening, they do give weight age to your certificates an projects.

Government organization, Solely look for the academics.

What's bad in looking in academics? You were in college to do the studies, if you haven't done good in that you do not deserve goodies in life so easily. Still if you have done some good projects you will get some chance and then you can repent on the old mistakes. Right?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Difficult to pick one. Most of the recruiting companies have benchmarks on academic performance. Unless you've some basic minimum score - people won't let you appear for the selection process. But once you're through the initial elimination stages, it's always going to be a balance of the two.

If your academics are true - it definitely helps me (as an interviewer) form a good first impression. In addition, your projects will tell me your 'actual' level of understanding. I'd typically base my questions on the project you've done - because that's what you've been in control of.

Given the current state of education in India - I'd be slightly inclined towards evaluating the candidate based on the projects they've worked on. But as I said - I'll just be 'inclined'. Ultimately, it's going to be a mix of both.
  • chithrachennai
    chithrachennai
    you guys are talking about a B.E/B.Tech graduate's resume.

can someone show me an M.Tech candidates CV who is applyin for the post of Asst.Prof?

Because i heard that an engineering college ( in Tamil Nadu) has some norms to recruit a fresh M.Tech candidate

this will be very helpful 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Too many projects and if you don't have any basic idea about any topic which you have focused Your resume will look cool but you will not get the job done

So it is better if you have a sound knowledge on the concepts and a little marks is always an added credential

By The By Marks alone won't take you over the rope
  • chithrachennai
    chithrachennai
    @ conqueror thanks a lot
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Try to be consistent in your academic whether it was 70% or 80% try to be consistent .It can gain you more points.On projects side, number of projects dont count but single better project speaks for yiu.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Academics add stars to your resume, Projects add weight. If you want to put it in simple way. In India, they focus on academics in college. But in long run it fails. What helps is your knowledge and experience and it is achieved through project and team work.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    in my view its completely depends on the company
    some are concentrating some dont
    in my live experience all the interviews i faced are completely tested my talent and projects so marks are only useful to cross the cutoff for qualification.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Not sure whether I am allowed to post my blog here. I hope that's fine. https://www.thinknonsense.com/bb/2013/08/03/my-rants-about-god/ Comments welcomed.
Hello CE, I'm doing a project on servlets using NETBeans IDE 7.3. I'm not able to find web.xml file in EEB-INF folder. actually in earlier versions of netbeans we can...
Basically I know that only the source code is freely available to view or you may have to pay for modifying the source code. But what's besides that? I want...
Couple of months back Twitter had twitted that they had hired Cynthia Gaylor from Morgan Stanley to run its corporate development team. Cynthia joined Twitter board with experience in acquisitions...
My experience withe the design durability and reliability is not so good, Recently after seeing the reviews of Gionee Elife E6 that perception has changed. I tried to dig out...