What about the other 3-bits in flag register ?

Actually i have a silly doubt,
As we know our intel microprocessor have 5 flags and 1-bit space is alloted for each flag.
Flag register we are going to use is of 8-bits so 5-bits are used for the 5 different types of flag signal but But what about the other 3 bits ??
How these other 3 bits are used ??

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    They are "don't care" bits. I feel they must be utilised for verifyimg the presence of grabage value in the accummulator. Just a wild guess
  • cbaber
    cbaber
    Pretty much everything is based off of bits and bytes. 8 bits is 1 byte. 8 bits is going to be the minimum of any register because having everything in byte sized increments makes it easier to work with. If only 5 of 8 bits are used, the others are, like shreyasm89 said, dont care bits. They are not used.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    shreyasm89
    They are "don't care" bits. I feel they must be utilised for verifyimg the presence of grabage value in the accummulator. Just a wild guess
    They are not used bits in this controller but they are also been configured in the higher version of the controller.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    godfather
    but they are also been configured in the higher version of the controller.
    You mean to say that in newer version of microprocessor no of flag bit's is extended to 8 ?
    Can you tell me which 3 extra flag is added ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    mohit007kumar00
    You mean to say that in newer version of microprocessor no of flag bit's is extended to 8 ?
    Can you tell me which 3 extra flag is added ?
    No not like that.. see microprocessor and controller are very basic things...
    Now a days Microcontroller manufacturer company has given variety of controllers in which there are inbuilt ADC more port Pin.. or according to requirement in industry only 8 Pin IC is also available so according to features inbuilt in IC the flag register may be change or sometimes there are more than one register to indicate status of particular operation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I downloaded the latest 10.10 release of uBuntu and had a hard time installing it. The installer got stuck at about 80% and just showed "Ready when you are..."...
Q: When does a person decide to become an engineer? A: When he/she realizes he/she doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker. Q: How can you tell an extroverted...
Choosing between buying flowers for your wife and upgrading your RAM is a problem. You take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room....
Microsoft has finally revealed the much awaited Windows Phone 7 today. When you first get the phone, the stuff that’s more obvious makes you smile,” says Andy Lees, Microsoft’s Mobile...
The latest mobile operating system from Samsung called 'Bada' has partnered with Social Gaming SDK provider Scoreloop. Scoreloop will provide the SDK to its network of over 3,000 developers. The...