Weekend Debates & Talks - Let's Start It Again!

We used to have a wonderful activity until a few weeks ago - weekend talks. I believe the CE Conference can be used to conduct those debates/talks in a better, more structured manner. An idea just popped up in my mind and thought of sharing it with all of you -

1. We'll announce a topic or a list of topic on every Monday.

2. CEans will have time to prepare on the topic or read it throughout the week in their leisure time.

3. We'll announce a conference time in advance - it'll be the most convenient time on weekend. The conference will last no more than 60 or 90 minutes.

4. We'll have select people to act as the moderators of the conference/debate/discussion which will take place through CE Conference ( #-Link-Snipped-# ). During the experiment stage I or our mods will moderate these conferences.

5. The discussion moderator will moderate the talk for 90 minutes and pick one winner based on overall points made by the user. We'll have guidelines for mods as well so anyone of you can become a moderator of the conference.

6. The winner will receive a gift voucher or cash prize from CE ๐Ÿ‘.

How does this activity help you - whether you're a student or a professional or an aspiring engineer?

1. Prepare for group discussions - useful in CAT and other competitive exams.
2. The best points will come out in moderated discussions - *extremely* useful in forming opinion / views on topics.
3. Improve your general knowledge & communication skills.
4. Study the topic for an interesting and fun debate - improves your knowledge.
5. We'll pick the most interesting and 'general' topics to begin with so that we get more participation.

Going forward: Each one of you will be able to host your own conference as specific times (like it happens in corporate world). You will be able to host highly technical conferences / discussions / debates and general ones as well.

What say? I'm excited! ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to add - all the conferences will be archived into discussion thread - so those who cannot participate will have access to what was discussed.! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    So,What are we waiting for ?
    Day after tomorrow is Monday.

Where are the list of Topics ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    So,What are we waiting for ?
    Day after tomorrow is Monday.

Where are the list of Topics ?
    Agreed. No point in waiting. We'll announce a list of topics on Monday. Gotta think of really good, general topics.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Give the topics less time to work and no exams so lot of time to prepare
  • suyash deshmukh
    suyash deshmukh
    Excited...!!๐Ÿ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'll announce a list of topics on Monday. Gotta think of really good, general topics.
    So,are we starting from this week or next week?

Waiting for announcement of topics.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If anyone's got suggestions for the general topic for group discussion / debate - please post them here. My brain's occupied with a ton of garbage at this time. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to add - all the conferences will be archived into discussion thread - so those who cannot participate will have access to what was discussed.! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Ok. But keep the discussion technical. I will try to manage the time slot.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Ok. But keep the discussion technical. I will try to manage the time slot.
    We can keep the discussions focused on general technology. But 'technical' would mean we restrict the participants to a few disciplines only.

Let the topics flow in we'll then decide.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Topic: What do you think the IT Law should look like?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    Topic: What do you think the IT Law should look like?
    Okay, I'll add as one of the topics - I'm not sure how many people have the knowledge of IT Law - how it's today and what are the mods that can go into it.

Let's try for a debate topic so that many people can participate with their own views.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's seriously tough to come up with a topic that will appeal to everyone. We'll have to go very generic with the selection of topics.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's seriously tough to come up with a topic that will appeal to everyone. We'll have to go very generic with the selection of topics.
    For every engg. branch, we will decide a topic. For mechanical say-

"Design of flitched beam." It is a generic topic, Plus, it is also technical.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think this topic would involve lot of participation -

'Should education be free for everyone?"

I'm pretty sure CEans can come up with several interesting points / facts / figures.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    For every engg. branch, we will decide a topic. For mechanical say-

"Design of flitched beam." It is a generic topic, Plus, it is also technical.
    I think discipline specific topics can follow once we've successful general topic conferences smooth sailing for a few times at least.

What kind of discussion do we expect on 'Design of flitched beam'? - and how'd we pick up winner?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think discipline specific topics can follow once we've successful general topic conferences smooth sailing for a few times at least.

What kind of discussion do we expect on 'Design of flitched beam'? - and how'd we pick up winner?
    1.What are flitched beams.
    2.The general procedure to design them.
    3.What are your views on new ways to design them.
    4.Mathematical equations supporting your statements.
    etc.

If we are doing general discussions, this will not require study. The purpose of weekend discussion wil not be fulfilled to make everyone strong in technical. CE will be filled with general discussions rather than quality technical content.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The plan's been set - we're continuing with general topics and I'm quite sure when people are participating to win - they'll have to study the topic well. This is going to be a trial and if this becomes popular - we'll extend it to discipline specific discussions for sure.

But that shouldn't stop anyone from starting pure technical conferences. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Check this video Starring Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, will.i.am, Chris Bosh, Jack Dorsey, Tony Hsieh, Drew Houston, Gabe Newell, Ruchi Sanghvi, Elena Silenok, Vanessa Hurst, and Hadi Partovi. Directed by...
Can someone explain to me what is the role of a decompression lever in an internal combustion engine?
We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a...
The D.C series wound motor has the following characteristics: 1. It gives high torque and high speed. 2. speed and torque continue to rise as soon as the machine is...
Facebook was being very selective in announcing the gadgets that can run latest facebook home app. However, MoDaCo founder Paul O'Brian has come up with simple steps that describe how...