Web-Designing: Is a White Website with Black Fonts better than a Black Website?

I've been intrigued with the question:

Is a White Website with Black Fonts better than a Black Website with White Fonts???

Which of these do you feel is more suitable to the eye??

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Undoubtedly a white website with black font. White gives a tint of freshness and coolness to the website. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    But black resembles more creativity and passion. Personally i feel it's better for the eyes too.๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    If it is formal, go for White BG with Black fonts... In case of casual or personal sites, go for Black BG with White fonts... ๐Ÿ˜€

One more thing is Black BG with White fonts are preferred as they consume less power by the monitors... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    Hey praveen,
    Can you please explain how does a black BG with white font will take less power ?

Well, for the topic i agree with akd, white BG is better as it shows some freshness.
    Black BG site seems attractive but you wont spend much time on a site with black BG.
    Take the example of facebook and now (G+) they have white or similar BG because it does not affect your eyes and you can
    use these sites for hours without any strain.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    BB! Good Question... ๐Ÿ˜€ Check this out: Official Google Blog: Is black the new green?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    blunderboy
    Hey praveen,
    Can you please explain how does a black BG with white font will take less power ?

Well, for the topic i agree with akd, white BG is better as it shows some freshness.
    Black BG site seems attractive but you wont spend much time on a site with black BG.
    Take the example of facebook and now (G+) they have white or similar BG because it does not affect your eyes and you can
    use these sites for hours without any strain.
    Yes a white background feels better to the eyes.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, if you look at Internet as a medium; then during its primitive days (we call it web 1.0) it only was copying the pen and paper world. That's why we had 'web pages' with text and images. We're used to reading on white background with black font and I think that's naturally suited for our eyes. I believe that's the reason most of the websites have white background with black fonts. Even if we change the color of the fonts - it's going to make a lot of users unhappy.

On an interesting note, we on CE use a shade of white and a shade of black - the combination that works absolutely great. Plus, the other part of the website has a greyish shading (checked pattern) which makes the user focus on the text more.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Praveen-Kumar
    I

One more thing is Black BG with White fonts are preferred as they consume less power by the monitors... ๐Ÿ˜€
    This is true only in a LCD or an LED screen only

This is because black is represented by turned off LED and so lesser power is consumed by the overall device
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    I think White Background with black font is good for eyes. So use this....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    One can't help but remember Apple's website for its all-white looks. And even Apple Stores - for its bright white lights and wall colors. Even their furniture is white in color at most places.
    It is the era of minimalistic design it seems. Very basic colors or black & white works best in elegant places.
  • lal
    lal
    Infact it is a CRT which saves energy when displaying a black screen simply because a black screen doesnt want the electron beam to be fired. But an ordinary LCD uses almost equal energy in displaying any colour. Ordinary LCD displays have a constant back-light. To display black the LCD has to prevent back light from passing through by darkening the pixels. This needs energy. So infact more energy is consumed.

This isn't true with OLEDs though. An OLED doesnot have a backlight. But each pixel can illuminate itself whenever required. So displaying black on an OLED can save energy. And yeah, modern LCD or LED displays are said to use a different back lighting technique where the backlight dims or brightens according to what is to be displayed. So they can possibly save some energy.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The New GRE 2011 Score Scale is as follows: Verbal Reasoning scores will be reported on a new 130 โ€“ 170 score scale, in 1-point increments (versus 200 *โ€“ 800...
General Test Dates >> Approximate Score Report Mailing Dates and View Scores Online Dates August 1, 2011 TO September 8, 2011 >> November 8, 2011 September 9, 2011 TO October...
The new revised GRE features advanced technology is created such that it lets you use your own test-taking style and strategies. Following are the new features: 1. Preview and review...
People, I went to a seminar today and I stumbled upon a fact that batteries used in electric vehicles do not last long. Can we have a some ideas that...
1. When staying in a hotel, Bernard would arrange for his valet to bring him his newspaper in the dining room so that everyone would realize that he had a...