Watery Tales!

... with many of us not realizing the importance of water, I think we have moon to look upon for our future water needs. Ah! does it mean we mean earthlings can waste water( No thats not the intent of this post).
Read here.. water has been discovered in significant amounts on moon!
wow!!

updated 2:43 p.m. ET Nov. 13, 2009
It's official: There's water ice on the moon, and lots of it. When melted, the water could potentially be used to drink or to extract hydrogen for rocket fuel.....

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• BigOhm
    BigOhm
    I suspect that, for human habitation, it's probably much cheaper to get most of the drinking water from urine and sweat. Some makeup would be needed.

It's true we could use photovoltaics for water electrolysis and get hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. Do you have a sense of how that stacks up against battery storage in terms of weight and cost?
  • gohm
    gohm
    I had heard that news as well. Too bad they did not discover wine on the moon instead as it goes better with cheese (which we all know the moon is made of)... =)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    BigOhm
    I suspect that, for human habitation, it's probably much cheaper to get most of the drinking water from urine and sweat. Some makeup would be needed.

It's true we could use photovoltaics for water electrolysis and get hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. Do you have a sense of how that stacks up against battery storage in terms of weight and cost?
    You're right, recycling human waste (including exhaled air) would be more sustainable.

Photovoltaic is pretty attainable, though to have the required power for electrolysis would amount to very high costs. Of course, I don't think settling on the moon for the first time was meant to be an economic objective.

I think once Helium-3 mining operations become viable, we'll see concentrated efforts from both government and private entities in solving these issues.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Link: Know Your CEan - CrazyEngineers Discuss the interview in this thread 😀
Let's compile the best salary negotiation tips. Will come handy when you are negotiating your salary with your new employers. Here's my tip: Never disclose how much you expect from...
Most of you might have seen 2012 movie by now. Can someone post a review for the rest of us? 😀
hi i have a problem in opening the powerpoint 97 file..i have installed power point 2007 in my system.i cant even able to convert that ppt to pdf file..can anybody...
Want to be a part of a path-breaking venture? Are you looking for an internship which would provide you with an enriching experience? Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2010 plays host to...