Water and Waste Water Treatment Question Bank

Q1 – Draw layout of conventional water treatment plant and explain the function of each
in detail.
Q2 – Explain the types of aerators with figures.
Q3 – Design the cascade types of aerator for the design flow 25MLD.
Q4 Explain the objectives of aerators.
Q5 Explain ‘ Two film Theory ’ of gas transfer.
Q6 - Explain the theory of coagulation. Describe various types of coagulants commonly
used in water treatment.
Q7 Write short note on ‘Alum’ state advantages and disadvantages of it.
Q 8 How to find out the optimum dose of coagulant
Q 9 Write short note on ‘Coagulation Aid’
Q10 State the factors affecting coagulation.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Q11 State the design criteria for Flash mixer.
    Q12Design the flash mixer for the design discharge of 250 m3 / hr.
    Q13 What are the different methods of mixing device and explain each in detail.
    Q14 Explain the relation of pH – alkalinity and turbidity in the coagulation.
    Q15 – Explain the theory of flocculation.
    Q16 State the design steps for floculator as per CPEEO.
    Q17 Design the clarrifloculator for the design flow 250 m3 / hr . Assume suitable data.
    Q18 What are the factors on which the sedimentation depend. And explain in brief.
    Q19 Prove that removal of particulate is depend on the plan area only.
    Q20 Write short note on ‘ Tube Settler’
    Q21 Explain in detail the procedure for flocculate and discrete particulate removal from
    Sedimentation tank.
    Q22 3.785 MLD passes through a sedimentation basin, which is 6m, wide, 15 m long
    and 3 m deep.
    a) Find the detention time for the basin
    b) What is the average velocity of flow through the basin
    c) If the suspended solid content of water averages 40 ppm, what weight of dry
    solids will be deposited every 24 hours? Assuming 75 percent removed in basin?
    d) Calculate surface overflow rate.
    Q23 – Design a settling basin is designed to have a surface overflow rate of 32.6 m/day.
    Determine the overall removal obtained for a suspension with size distribution
    given below. G = 1.2 and dynamic viscosity 1.027 centipoises and density 0.997
    gm/cm3.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Q24 What is the criteria for sand used in the filter.
    Q26 State the difference between slow and rapid sand filter.
    Q27 Write a short note on classification of filter.
    Q28 What are the problems in Filter and Explain the theory of filtration.
    Q29. What is air binding ( Negative head in filter) Explain in brief.
    Q30 Find the depth of filter bed for the following data
    Filtration rate = 5 m3/m2/ hr.
    Diameter of particle 0.6mm
    Loss of head = 2.5 m
    Q31 Estimate the depth of gravel bed for 2mm,5mm and 10mm.Assume suitable data.
    Q32 Design completely a rapid sand filter for a town having total filtered water
    requirement of 6 MLD. Assume suitable data. Assume 3% of filtered water required
    for back washing.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Q34 What do you understand by loss of head and negative head in rapid sand filter?
    What are their permissible limit? What will happen when negative head is
    excessive?
    Q35 Explain the chemistry of chlorination
    Q36 What are the factors affecting bacterial efficiency of chemical disinfectant
    ( Clorine).?
    Q37 Write short note on Ozone and Uv disinfectant.
    Q36 Write short note on disinfecting action of chlorine.
    Q38 What is break point chorination. Explin the under what condition it is advocated?
    Q39 State the requirements of disinfectant?
    Q40 Explain the kinetics of Disinfections.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Q42 Chlorine usage in the treatment of 20000 cubic meter of water per day is 8 Kg/day.
    The residual chlorine after 10 mints contact is 0.2 mg/L calculate the dose of
    chlorine in mg/L and chlorine demand of water?
    Q43 Calculate the quantity of bleaching powder required per year for disinfecting 5 MLD
    water. The dose of chlorine ha to be 0.3 ppm and bleaching powder contain 30% of
    available chlorine.
    Q44 If 0.7 mg/L of total chlorine is required for satisfaction disinfections of water at
    pH =7.0. What dosage will be necessary at pH = 8.0 If it is given that initially 12
    minutes contact time is required at pH 7.0 Find the time of contact required at pH =
    8.0 if n= 1.5 in the equation Cn t = Constant. Take Ki = 2.7 x 10-8 mol/L.
    Q45. What are the different methods for removal of iron and Manganese? Explain each
    in brief . what the permissible limit in drinking water and what happens if these
    are more than permissible limit in drinking water.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    hey nice collection akd 😁
    i've got most of these questions this sem in my environmental engineering paper. 😀 and i have that exam next 😁
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Q20 Write short note on ‘ Tube Settler’
    what is tube settler?????
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    tube settler is used in water treatment.
    normally the traditional process which is the sedimentation tanks (where water is allowed to stand after adding coagulant for the impurities to settle to bottom.) is used. but the sedimentation tanks use up a lot of space. so the other methods like tube settler are used in its place.
    the process of sedimentation is very effective if the height of standing water is less. so when we use small diameter pipes which have high wetted perimeter and providing laminar flow (smooth flow with no turbulence) the rate of settling of impurities is high and this is called tube settlers. 😀
  • Nikhil Gurav
    Nikhil Gurav
    Please help me guyz....
    I want plan of water treatment plant... Its very urgent...

Plz help me....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Kapil Sibal, Minister For Human Resource, India, Chas Edelstein, CEO, Apollo Group, USAm & Dipak Jain,Dean Designate, INSEAD, Dean Emeritus, Kellogg School of Management discuss 'Quality and Quantity in Education:...
Found this video on Facebook 😛 About Facebook 😛 Thought I should share Have a look: [video=youtube;sQYJs1rsMuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYJs1rsMuo[/video]
Is there any way to search videos on facebook by name? I tried to figure it our but I am clueless.
CEans, CE has evolved over the years and constantly adopted newer and better ways of making CE usable to all our engineers. I had been long thinking of reorganizing our...