Waste water treatment using banana and orange peels

I came across this topic last day. Can this be used as a final year project?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Could you tell us a bit more about your project so that we can provide you with well informed opinions? 

• Devika Ghosh
    Devika Ghosh

Banana and orange peels are used as adsorbents. It is used to treat the waste water. After adding the adsorbents it is said that there is a change in ph.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Sounds like a good project idea to me. What makes you doubt that this can't be a final year project?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

There is one concern. Both peels are bioactive. If left in contact, they can rot, add bacteria (not necessarily pathogenic and harmful) and make the water smell.

I did a bit of search. Various fruit peels can be chemically treated to increase their surface area, thereby making them adsorb harmful minerals.

However, that will not render the water biologically safe for drinking.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

It can still be a project for recovering commercially viable metals from industrial waste water.

• Devika Ghosh
    Devika Ghosh

Both the peels are not used. Only one peel is used at a time. I have a doubt on whether it could be a final year project

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The point is that the peels are not used as such. They are chemically processed to get a structure like activated carbon.

The processed material is used like activated carbon in a cartridge. Is there no guide for final year projects in the college to help students select a suitable one?

• Devika Ghosh
    Devika Ghosh

Yes sir but we have to find the topic on our own. Please give me some suggestions 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Are you familiar with such activation processes?

Are you fixed on this orange peel  project? What sort of help you are looking for from CEans?

• Devika Ghosh
    Devika Ghosh

No sir. I have not fixed the topic. I came across this topic and thought that it can be my project.

I am looking for environmental engineering projects mostly looking for water treatment process and air pollution related projects. Please help me with some suggestions 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Around 2010 a study done in Bangladesh showed that simple filtration of raw water through four layers of cotton saree consistently removed 99 % of cholera bacteria. This was confirmed by a follow up done after five years.

Simple Sari Cloth Filtration of Water Is Sustainable and Continues To Protect Villagers from Cholera in Matlab, Bangladesh - PMC

It maybe useful to try this out in India. There are labs in most cities that can evaluate the water for bacterial contamination. For the purposes of the project one can start with sterile water to which a known amount of a non pathogenic bacteria is added. This water is filtered through the selected cotton filter. The filtered water is analysed for the level of bacteria present. The filter is used a few times without checking for bacteria removal. After x cycles once more the bacteria level is checked. The filter cloth is washed and dried. Once again the test is repeated for bacteria removal.

For repeatability at least two more filters are checked.

A report can now be written.

Please check with your guide if such a study is acceptable.

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

sir had already given you a very interesting point for your project

It can still be a project for recovering commercially viable metals from industrial waste water.

You should do some research bit more about this

• Devika Ghosh
    Devika Ghosh

Thank you sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WhatsApp has opened up their business API and is now accepting application. Some of the people on social media are talking about their pricing plans. From what I've learned so...
It turns out that CrazyEngineers Discussions app has turned into Place to ask for project ideasCareer related queriesWhile our goal is to help as many engineers, we also want to...
how to create software and circuit that can trace path of current and gives the diagram of path just like a circut diagram with all components
Disclaimer: I have no idea what this is about.Quote:Well, I have been searching for a beautiful yet space saving Raspberry Pi NAS from the internet and I found nothing. I...
Can anyone tell what is the scope for autocad electrical