Waste Management - Start it Today!

It is with shame and sincere regret that I write here about this topic, particularly with respect to India. I've lived my entire schooling in Kuwait, and there has not been waste related issues ever in my knowledge. The streets are always cleaned and things of public use are taken care of properly by the government. However, the increasing heart ache for me has resulted from seeing the fast growing waste accumulation across various parts of our country. It's not just the government who is responsible, but we all are. So please share about effective measures that can be taken from our side to solve this increasing problem, which could negatively affect our future generations to come.

Waste can be classified into basically two types:
1. Bio-degradable.
2. Non-Biodegradable.

As engineers it is our responsibility to find a permanent solution to this strange situation that is existing in India. Even our rivers are filled with both kinds of waste, and this has seriously affected the ecosystem throughout the country. Who is responsible for this? We all are! πŸ˜”

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    This is an inspiring video that Nokia showcases to recycle Mobile Phone waste.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    We have reached a state where it is very difficult to implement systems because of increasing rate of population,I wish we had systems for everything initiated decades ago.In our area we have separate waste bins for biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste but no one cares about the distinction,even the waste collector collects it together(whats the use!).Lack of awareness shows in here.Creating waste management awareness is the foremost step.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Whats In Name
    We have reached a state where it is very difficult to implement systems because of increasing rate of population,I wish we had systems for everything initiated decades ago.
    Nothing is impossible even today. We all have to try but together! But in India it's unfortunately Diversity in Unity than shines more than Unity in Diversity!

In our area we have separate waste bins for biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste but no one cares about the distinction,even the waste collector collects it together(whats the use!).
    The same thing happens in my PG. I work in Kochi and the area is well known for its lack of cleanliness (atleast in some areas). When people showcase India as Incredible India, others make fun of it too. Saw a video by Russell Peters (of Indian Origin) who stated that it felt as if someone had paid some locals to spray foul smell all over the International Airport in Mumbai when he arrived.

Lack of awareness shows in here.
    There's no more awareness required here. Are people of this generation kids to be spoon fed everything? They can see with their own eyes, but don't have the guts to do anything about it (including myself). Selfishness at it's heights!

Creating waste management awareness is the foremost step.
    Something ought to be done before the future generations start cursing us.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Now the big question arises-
    How can this be done?
    How can we change the selfish outlook of people?
    What and how system will be implemented?
    We,ourselves admit that we are reluctant to initiate,then how can we convince others?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I'm sure that someone would step forward if a business deal could be made out of all the waste from around India! I'm sure that there should be something that we haven't researched enough into. 😘

P.S.: Wack your brains engineers! This is food for thought! Am sure Indian Engineers Build 'Jugaad 13' - The 200 Kmpl Car For International Race also came up with that idea cause of a lot of thinking!β˜•
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    For the Poll question:

Do you have a mini bio-gas plant/bio-waste disposal system at your home or near your locality?

Only 1 person has voted yes! And 3 people have voted as no. Can that person please step up and initiate this conversation with the idea of how to create effective waste disposal systems? It would be really helpful in franchising this debate.

P.S.: Feel free to add interesting videos of waste disposal methods, if any.

- YouTube - Check this one!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    One difficult to achieve idea could be creation of genetically modified microbes which can degrade non biodegradable substances.However it would be interesting to know how feasible this idea is.β˜•
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    rahul69
    One difficult to achieve idea could be creation of genetically modified microbes which can degrade non biodegradable substances.However it would be interesting to know how feasible this idea is.β˜•
    Interesting! But it would be difficult to stop them if they cross the line and not able to distinguish between useful and waste non-biodegradable stuff! 😁
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Whats In Name
    Interesting! But it would be difficult to stop them if they cross the line and not able to distinguish between useful and waste non-biodegradable stuff! 😁
    Absolutely, this is to be taken care of!. Otherwise the future will be like the movie Resident Evil, full of Zombies😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anoopthefriend
    Waste can be classified into basically two types:
    1. Bio-degradable.
    2. Non-Biodegradable.

While I was working at Trivandrum, a proposal to bring the municipal waste from New York city to one of the pristine islands off Kochi for burning and generating power. The promotersw in Kerala were set to make US$ 4/ ton of waste handled after all expenses were paid for delivering the waste. The power gewnerated was to be a bonus.
    The Big Apple was willing to help setting up the powerplant as wellThis waste would have included not only bio degradable waste but also probably bio hazardous. This was at the height of AIDS epidemic. What would happen to a bio active waste on the long ocean travel with nice warm humid conditions defies imagination. My report on this when the proposal was referred to me was what probably killed this stupid exercise.
    Why did not New York reap the benefits itself and save itself a lot of money? Why not Long Island for the waste disposal plant? Because they just wanted to (literally) pass the shit to India.

I had been involved with biogas development at various points in my career. It is not as simple as it seems. A major facility in Rajastan produced copious quantities of carbon di oxide. Only after arduous testing it was found that the methano baterium would not survive in the conditions obtaining in that location. Biogas is not necessarily the best solution. Apparently a new plasma combustion process with negligible carbo foot print is under development.
    This can handle virtually all waste and produce net power.

I agree that as engineers we have to handle this. Most of it is our doing anyway.

I personally compost all biodegradable waste and use it in my garden.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    A.V.Ramani
    While I was working at Trivandrum, a proposal to bring the municipal waste from New York city to one of the pristine islands off Kochi for burning and generating power. The promotersw in Kerala were set to make US$ 4/ ton of waste handled after all expenses were paid for delivering the waste. The power gewnerated was to be a bonus.
    The Big Apple was willing to help setting up the powerplant as wellThis waste would have included not only bio degradable waste but also probably bio hazardous. This was at the height of AIDS epidemic. What would happen to a bio active waste on the long ocean travel with nice warm humid conditions defies imagination. My report on this when the proposal was referred to me was what probably killed this stupid exercise.
    Why did not New York reap the benefits itself and save itself a lot of money? Why not Long Island for the waste disposal plant? Because they just wanted to (literally) pass the shit to India.

I had been involved with biogas development at various points in my career. It is not as simple as it seems. A major facility in Rajastan produced copious quantities of carbon di oxide. Only after arduous testing it was found that the methano baterium would not survive in the conditions obtaining in that location. Biogas is not necessarily the best solution. Apparently a new plasma combustion process with negligible carbo foot print is under development.
    This can handle virtually all waste and produce net power.

I agree that as engineers we have to handle this. Most of it is our doing anyway.

I personally compost all biodegradable waste and use it in my garden.
    I agree with what you said. Kochi is already suffocating now. I'm living in it, and if something's not done soon the entire water system in Kerala is bound to be affected. Already a lot of dead fishes have filled the local rivers in Chalakudy due to the chemical wastes from a nearby factory.

P.S.: Sir, the whole idea behind this debate is to learn the necessary things needed to save our planet from the biggest form of unhandleable pollution - waste! I'm sure that if we all put our bits, the big picture would be better for the future. At least, they won't blame us for trying! And we can generate our little ideas here. Maybe some day it'll make sense even if these are just ideas today!

Keep contributing your bit folks!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anoopthefriend
    P.S.: Sir, the whole idea behind this debate is to learn the necessary things needed to save our planet from the biggest form of unhandleable pollution - waste! I'm sure that if we all put our bits, the big picture would be better for the future. At least, they won't blame us for trying! And we can generate our little ideas here. Maybe some day it'll make sense even if these are just ideas today!

You can say that again.
    I say that we can start contributing our little bit right away in the way we manage waste at home. This covers all waste, power, water, gas, the works.
    How many are aware that the whistling pressure regulator on the domestic pressure cooker wastes about 150 to 300 watts power?
    All pressure cookers in my house are fitted with hissing regulators. It needs less than 200 W power to maintain pressure once pressure is reached.
    By all means let CEans come up with options for waste management.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Here is an interesting update. Apparently the Kerala government partially subsidises this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

BBMP at Bangalore has already set up a few to monitor performance.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Singapore can be titled as cleanest place on Earth. But they do that by implementation of high prices on goods and strict rules against polluting their public places. A bottle of mineral water costs like a 100 bucks there! Even costs of vehicles are so high that you've to be filthy rich to own a small Hyundai Accent. Let me put it in the words of my cousin brother who works there - "it's like living in a 5 star luxury hotel...if you've been to Singapore and have stayed there for a while then later on you'd feel like all the other places on earth are so dirty...". Do you think the world should learn a thing or two about waste management from Singapore?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes even the educated people dont follow the rules and they lack love for earth.Government has ser up distinguishing dust bins for biodegradable and nondegradable waste but we dont give our contribution to it.We try to keep our home cleanbut dont care about surroundings.We dump a lot of waste in streets without knowing the future effects.
    We should make innovations in this fields to really develop in creating good environment.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew

Waste Management - Level 1 - Reuse of Paper Bag as a Cloth Hanger.

# Interesting Concept!
  • mail154
    mail154
    Hi Anoop the friend!

Long Time since we debated πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Coming on to the topic, i understand your feelings as good human being and a citizen of this country and salute for being aware of disturbances in ecological balances.

But know one thing, even if it is heaven it doesn't gets equal to being on our motherland.

By this i don't say be adjusted. change is inevitable now.

as you rightly pointed it is the ultimate responsibility of every individual to properly dispose wastes and keep our environments clean.

there is no point in keeping two baskets title "bio-degradable and non-degradable" until wastes goes into the perfect baskets.

being a responsible individual will definitely make our country a better place to live in.

Never Late πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    mail154
    Hi Anoop the friend!

Long Time since we debated πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Coming on to the topic, i understand your feelings as good human being and a citizen of this country and salute for being aware of disturbances in ecological balances.

But know one thing, even if it is heaven it doesn't gets equal to being on our motherland.

By this i don't say be adjusted. change is inevitable now.

as you rightly pointed it is the ultimate responsibility of every individual to properly dispose wastes and keep our environments clean.

there is no point in keeping two baskets title "bio-degradable and non-degradable" until wastes goes into the perfect baskets.

being a responsible individual will definitely make our country a better place to live in.

Never Late πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    Agree to whatever you've said mate! And always open for debate! πŸ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung recently announced event β€˜Premiere 2013’ scheduled for June 20 at Earls Court 2, London, where it’ll be unveiling latest additions to its Galaxy and ATIV portfolio. Tech enthusiasts may...
On VoiCE you have already read about the Black Hornet Nano UAV and Me Cam and how they are being used for military and civilian purposes respectively, but this time...
The Indian Online Railway Reservation System dependent wholly and solely on the IRCTC website is now taking part in what appears to be a stunt of sorts. The news became...
In near future, don't be surprised if you see electronics and DIY enthusiasts frequenting the construction sites in search of cement. Researchers have unraveled a formula for turning liquid cement...
When the Jedi Order and their Sith counterparts used this signature weapon for close combat or for deflecting those blaster bolts, the DIY nerds among us started developing their own....