Want to change the directory name of WordPress. Help.

I am not a technical guy, but started my own website and hosting WordPress for my blogging. I have some queries. Please help me out.

1. I created one directory, for example- "blog" (as there can be more than 1 blogs) and installed WordPress. But now, I realize and wants to change the directory name of WordPress from "blog" to "website". Is it possible? Can this be done?

2. We have option "Permalink" in WordPress.
It was at the default choice but, now I want to change to only "Page Title", and so I did that. But, the pages which were linked in posts, on clicking, shows the homepage of blog and not the specific post, as I changed the Permalink option. ๐Ÿ˜”
What should I do now for this?

3. If in any case, I change the directory name, I am using Google's FeedBurner service. ๐Ÿ˜” How can I change the setting, so that, subscribers will get the next RSS automatically.

4. Changing Permalink to only "PageTitle" and using "All in one SEO" pack, increases some SEO or not?

Waiting for your reply. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    1. Well, yes it is possible, but not as simple as changing the directory name. The first question I want to ask is that how old is your blog and how many articles do you have? If the blog is new (< 3 months), I'd recommend that you first decide the final destination of your wordpress installation (give it a very deep thought) and then install your Wordpress in the final folder. Then export all your posts from old blog and them import them in the new blog using wordpress built-in import and export feature. Once that's done, make sure you setup correct permalink structure.

If your blog is older than 3 months, follow detailed instructions mentioned here -> #-Link-Snipped-#

2 Tip: ๐Ÿ˜€ : Do not use 'page title' only. The best permalink title is //. It works everywhere and in all cases. You'll be happy in the longer run, trust me.

3. You will just have to update the feed path in the service and it should work fine. If not just burn a new feed. Again, the choice depends on number of subscribers you have.

4. 'Page Title' is good, but it affects performance. The best page title will always have a unique number in it. If you aren't concerned about performance (noticeable once you have thousands of visitors) go with 'Page Title'. SEO, from my personal experience, is just a matter of producing high-quality & original content. The basic SEO technique is very well handled by WP and AIO plugin. Don't worry too much about it.
  • imhere
    imhere
    Excellent reply. Thanks a lot Big_K ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yes. It's new. Its around 1.5 month, I started blogging. I will follow the instructions and import it to the new place.
    I have some doubt in 2nd point. How to make a Permalink as "//"?
    And, Thanks a lot for your tip. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to know that you found my reply useful. To change the permalink structure, go to your wordpress permalink settings and enter -

/%post_id%/%postname%.html 
  • imhere
    imhere
    Ok. What is the difference, if we choose, only "postname" and "pageid-postname" ??
    I am asking this question considering access to page and SEO. You mentioned, that will help in long term, so want to know more about it.
    ".html" is necessary? Because page without extension will get loaded automatically.
    CE has VoiCE, which is no doubt, great place to know about technology ๐Ÿ˜€ has only the postname?? If we view a single post..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Page ID is different from Post ID! So be careful while you're handling the SEO URLs.

WordPress has mentioned that URLs with only pagename will create performance issues as Wordpress has to perform more operations when displaying an article with just URL. Having a number makes it easier for WP to uniquely identify posts and then display them. Of course there aren't any performance issues for smaller blog, but since we don't change Permalinks often, it's better if you go with the best Permalink structure.

On VoiCE, we only have 'postname', which is great - but we had to change to including numbers at the end of URL - one of the requirements mandated by Google News. As I said, you should be absolutely fine with just the post name ๐Ÿ˜€

PS: Wordpress has said that they're going to fix the performance issue with WP in their next release - so you shouldn't worry ๐Ÿ˜€
  • imhere
    imhere
    Ok. So, I can keep only "postname" for my PermaLink.
    What can be done for the SEO through WordPress? As this is new, I want to do something for my blog. Tell me, if there is something, that can be done to WordPress.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think you're confusing between the 'Title' generated by AIO SEO plugin and Wordpress settings. Permalink structure can be changed through WP permalinks settings. For AIO SEO plugin setting, you can go with Page Title.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please give some information about TSG. What are the tasks TSG needs to perform?....What is the future scope of it?...Please help me... Thank You.
Hi Engineers. I am pursuing my mechanical and automation engineering. I am planning to manufacture a submarine for my final year project and the size would be 25cm x 25cm...
Playful Puppy Robot
hi everyone, I'm new here. A friend of mine has said me about this. I'm so much eager to be good engineer. hope u all help me.