VTOL vehicle with Fan as propeller

Hello everyone, before you guys give any response let me frankly inform you all that i am a layman in mechanics so its a earnest request to all that please elaborate in layman's term ๐Ÿ˜€

I have planned for a VTOL vehicle which will use high speed fans that will me mounted under the car will act as propeller. The thrust created by the fans should lift the vehicle up to a certain height(say 5 feet).

After taking off vertically it should land again.

Now what will be the detailed concepts and mechanisms of these operations?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bump! Mechanical / Automobile engineers - we need your attention here ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    @The-Big_K

Thanks a lot for initiating the discussion ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Please go through this thread. A Volkswagen concept car using what you suggest is doing a demo on the street.
    The principle is the same as used for Hovercrafts. Such a vehicle is called a ground reaction vehicle.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    Hello sir ๐Ÿ˜€

I went through the video a week back. it was really amazing.Read the thread too just now.

You wrote "Not particularly useful for normal road transport in my opinion." Any reason for that?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rohanz21
    Hello sir ๐Ÿ˜€
    You wrote "Not particularly useful for normal road transport in my opinion." Any reason for that?
    Though friction losses will be small, air resistance still remains. Also the energy required to keep the vehicle afloat can be high. My concern is more with the environment.
    Most of the roads in the tropics are dusty. This sort of vehicle will kick up a dust storm, which may lead to zero visibility on the road and a major health hazard if a large number of these are on the road. This sort of vehicles are best for over water/marsh land travel, where other vehicles will not work and there is no dust.
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    Agreed.Also water present during monsoon will cause similar problem.Isn't so?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rohanz21
    Agreed.Also water present during monsoon will cause similar problem.Isn't so?
    Quite likely. Though a few of these may be useful as rescue vehicles during flooding.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    Though friction losses will be small, air resistance still remains. Also the energy required to keep the vehicle afloat can be high. My concern is more with the environment.
    Most of the roads in the tropics are dusty. This sort of vehicle will kick up a dust storm, which may lead to zero visibility on the road and a major health hazard if a large number of these are on the road. This sort of vehicles are best for over water/marsh land travel, where other vehicles will not work and there is no dust.
    which means that even if fans were to be eliminated and jet propulsion systems were to be used, the sand-storms would still be kicked-up.

so in the end does this mean that operation of flying-craft is not feasible on normal dirt roads ?
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Wouldn't jet propulsion system cause damage to nearby cars or environment?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Sir but what about that Volkswagen car of China? Doesn't it use a similar mechanism? Does the road and environment makes it feasible there?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rohanz21
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Wouldn't jet propulsion system cause damage to nearby cars or environment?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Sir but what about that Volkswagen car of China? Doesn't it use a similar mechanism? Does the road and environment makes it feasible there?
    The particular location where the demo took place does not seem to have much dust. I have great doubts about the feasibility of this kind of transport anywhere on dry land.
    Jet propulsion at this low level will be a strict no no.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    The biggest problem is going to be cornering, all others come afterwards.The thing will just float around, it will not take a turn as we want it to, once you get a considerable speed.
    Instead why don't you work on small helicopters , most of the helicopters developed here in India is for military use.These will be of great use as ambulance , police patrol etc.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    bioramani
    The particular location where the demo took place does not seem to have much dust. I have great doubts about the feasibility of this kind of transport anywhere on dry land.
    Jet propulsion at this low level will be a strict no no.
    I think the volkswagen car is just computer graphics.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Another reason why jet-propulsion would not be feasible is that , the fuel expenses would go up and so would the weight of the car.
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    white_hat
    The biggest problem is going to be cornering, all others come afterwards.The thing will just float around, it will not take a turn as we want it to, once you get a considerable speed.
    Instead why don't you work on small helicopters , most of the helicopters developed here in India is for military use.These will be of great use as ambulance , police patrol etc.
    What exact problem will the vehicle face while cornering at high speed? Suppose if there is way to reduce thrust on the propellers wouldn't it turn ? For example the vehicle is moving forward and we want to give it a right turn.if one can reduce the thrust on the propellers that is present on the front right side under the car wouldn't it take right turn?
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Rohanz21
    What exact problem will the vehicle face while cornering at high speed? Suppose if there is way to reduce thrust on the propellers wouldn't it turn ? For example the vehicle is moving forward and we want to give it a right turn.if one can reduce the thrust on the propellers that is present on the front right side under the car wouldn't it take right turn?
    It is not that easy as it sounds.Check out videos of hovercrafts. Due to the high momentum the vehicle will just keep on moving in the forward direction, it will turn eventually but will not take the path we want it to take.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Rohanz21
    In that case, we will end up building an air-craft and not a car.
  • marvin
    marvin
    zaveri
    In that case, we will end up building an air-craft and not a car.
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    @ All

I was asking a few persons about the feasibility of using the fan as propeller but they told that fan only by themselves wouldn't be able to create enough thrust to lift the car.What you all say about this?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is just semantics. A fan propels air. Fans are designed to move a lot of air at low static pressures. A propeller moves air at a high static pressure. In hovercrafts a fan is sufficient to provide the lift.
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    Okay. Could some centrifugal fans like this would be able to lift the vehicle?

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    Here's a recent article on a vehicle-
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    Wow really that's awesome ๐Ÿ˜€

Was also reading about Volkswagen Aqua Concept Car

Volkswagen Aqua Concept - Car Body Design
  • Rohanz21
    Rohanz21
    #-Link-Snipped-#

So what you say about the fans lifting a car.Feasible?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If the use 2-stroke engine in latest bike.is it possible?
Wondering if it's possible to convert radiations into electricity? If yes, what's the right way of doing it?
I want to create project in voice based email. In this project we access and control all email functions through voice only like compose,delete , move etc. This will help...
I always wonder how to solve the compatibility issues with Mac. You know, some programs or applications are not compatible for Mac. I haven't faced this problem, but most of...
hello......i am new to this community........i have been appointed to do a project or you can say a design of a new product that is not yet available in the...