Volkswagen XL1: World's Most Fuel Efficient Hybrid Car - 261 miles/gallon Makes Debut

Volkswagen has offered 250 models of XL1, a diesel powered plug-in hybrid car for sale in Germany and Austria for about $150,000 each. Now, what's so special about this pricey car? The answer would be its mileage; an astounding mileage of 261 MPG when on combined cycle. The carbon footprint of this car is also very much low. It spews 24 grams of carbon for each kilometre driven. The car was first unveiled at Qatar Motor Show in 2011 and production was confirmed in January 2013.

XL1_1

The XL1, popularly known as the VW 1-Litre travels about 100 Km in a single litre of diesel fuel. If the car is to be powered just by its batteries, it could go 50 Kms. This means 50 Kms of zero emissions. The XL1 is powered by a compact 800 cc TDI two-cylinder common rail diesel engine developing 48 PS. It is linked to an electric motor producing 27 PS, resulting in a total of 75 PS. The reduced weight of the car makes up for the average engine power. The kerb weight of the car is just 795 Kg. All this slimming thanks to the novel Resin Transfer Moulding process to manufacture the Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer used for the body, magnesium used for the brakes, ceramic used for brake discs and aluminium used for dampers, steering system and brake callipers.

XL1_2

The car carries only two people and the seating too, is made in a staggered, tandem fashion. The electronic speed limit that is imposed on this car is 99 mph (160 Km/h). The car has a single airbag and has cameras in place of side mirrors. Interestingly, the car employs a manual steering because a power steering weighs more. The XL1 also boasts a drag coefficient of 0.186. Most cars have a drag coefficient of 0.3 to 0.35.

XL1_3

The month of April saw the XL1 to be crowned as the finalist in the 2014 World Green Car Competition. This car is sure to kick off some serious competition from its rivals in the game of making the most fuel-efficient car.

XL1_4

Audi, Mercedes-Benz, you listening?

Image Credits and Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I couldn't understand few of the specifications.

They have installed camera in place of rear mirrors to give it a mod look, and still living with the manual steering rather than a power steering (I know it is to save some weight, but is this fair enough?)

Shading some weight with a compromise of a Air bag is not at all a safer bet (May be, I am missing something here)

Also, any clue at what rpm and terrain they have knocked 261 m / gallon (because it matter a lot when we are talking about Hybrid cars).
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It definitely mark its succes with its astounding aerodynamic, ergonomic design. Its mileage is the talk of the town. Its been years since VW advertised this model as 1litre - 100km efficient car but now it has managed so many upgrades in design and managed to attain this next level.

VW wins the race with flying colors 😀
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Rajni Jain
    I couldn't understand few of the specifications.

They have installed camera in place of rear mirrors to give it a mod look,
    The car is specifically designed according to the
    aerodynamics standards hence all the specification (i.e. E mirror, rear wheel housing & Trailing Edge ) are designed to provide uniform air flow all around.

Rajni Jain
    Shading some weight with a compromise of a Air bag is not at all a safer bet
    They haven't compromised in safety as they have installed extremely Light & Strong CFRP Safety Capsule (monocoque) which provide crash protection from all sides.

Source : Volkaswagen XL1 site
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Vikram S Bargah
    They haven't compromised in safety as they have installed extremely Light & Strong CFRP Safety Capsule (monocoque) which provide crash protection from all sides.
    Then why one air bag?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Chaitanya Kukde
    Audi, Mercedes-Benz, you listening?
    You mean BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Audi is a part of VW.
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    Anoop Mathew
    You mean BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Audi is a part of VW.
    Sorry, my bad... 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

XOLO has launched a new smartphone in the Indian market called the 'XOLO Q1200' that features some new functionalities. The first one to be highlighted by the company is 'Gesture...
Found this AWESOME video which explains Logic Gates using Pulley
Hai engineers am in think of doing some project for cleaning chimney but i cant get proper info about chimney pls give me a lecture
Hi I am unable to install android apps though it is having free space. I moved my old apps to SD card but still the same error no free space....